PDA

View Full Version : LW 7.5c install error with XP Home

pixelmonk
06-27-2004, 07:36 AM
My friend is looking at buying my seat of LW 7.5c. He just got a new Dell w/XP Home. The dongle drivers that came with the 7.0 CD didn't work so I told him to get the latest drivers from Rainbow's site. He sends me an email telling me the installer won't allow him to install, saying, "Insufficient privileges". I've never used Home as I think it's pretty gimpy, but does it have an Administrator login? Is there a different driver for XP home users?

mike509123
06-27-2004, 08:16 AM
Hi,

I am using lightwave 7.5c on WindowsXP Home, I updated windows first and then everything worked. I woudl suggest you update windows, that might make me work. Also in regard to adminstrator rights, i only have one account on my computer so i am guessing its an Administrator account by default.

Mike

Lynx3d
06-28-2004, 07:31 AM
If i'm not mistaken XP home also knows "Computer Administrator" accounts, and all accounts created during setup should belong to this group, i.e. have full control.

He's probably working with a "Limited" account.
I think logging in with "Administrator" should also work unless he forgot which PW he set when installing XP (if he gave it a PW at all)

But i've never use XP home, it won't support two CPUs... :P

pixelmonk
06-28-2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Lynx3d
If i'm not mistaken XP home also knows "Computer Administrator" accounts, and all accounts created during setup should belong to this group, i.e. have full control.

He's probably working with a "Limited" account.
I think logging in with "Administrator" should also work unless he forgot which PW he set when installing XP (if he gave it a PW at all)

But i've never use XP home, it won't support two CPUs... :P

Yeah.. even with 1 CPU, I wouldn't have recommended XP Home to him, but it's his new baby. :)

I'll give a report on the outcome once I find out more info from him and what's he's patched and done so far. I noticed on Rainbow's site there's a MSI installer as well as a "client server installer" (Non MSI). I wonder if XP Home is too girly and needs the "MSI installer". Again.. I'll find out more info and post the results.

Lynx3d
06-28-2004, 07:46 AM
Er...oh.
Seems like the "Administrator" was a Win2k thing? :D
At least i can't find a way to choose anywhere to logon as "Administrator"...hm didn't i type in a Administrator PW when installing? Am pretty new to XP, just installed two weeks ago.

Here's something about the user accounts in XP home:
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/wxphusrm.htm

Doesn't look that much different from XP Pro to me...

Not sure what's up with those MSI installers, but is worth trying.

-edit-
hm at least in XP Pro you can do "run as..." and launch a program as "Administrator" (if activated):
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294676&sd=tech

-yet_another_edit-
On XP Pro you can login as "Administrator" with the "old" login screen, on XP home it is only available in save mode :eek:
So i guess every user should be a "Computer Administrator", but some NT4/5 installers seem to insist on the "Administrator"...
But since i'm pretty sure there are many XP home users here, it must be either the installer is not for WinXP, or some other problem like him being logged in with a "Limited" account.

bloontz
06-28-2004, 08:28 AM
I think that the initial account you would set up would be a member of the Administrator group. At least that was the case in my XP Pro setups, you can check it with the users and groups tool of the Adminisrative tools (not sure if that is part of XP home but should be). I don't think there should really be any difference between XP pro and XP home that should effect Lightwave. It's mainly networking stuff and multiprocessor support from what I recall.