PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a perfect human..take a look...need some help!

Smiffto24
06-26-2004, 06:06 PM
Hi there I need a helping hand rigging a human. I'm trying to make it as life like as I can, I have used several online tuts and rig files but have come across numerous problems (mainly because of Skelegons twisting when IK'ed). Has anyone got a descent Skelegon setup and null setup that I can rip apart and use on my mesh to create a great working IK setup? I know many request like this have gone up before but I'm at a lose and I have spent hours/days trying out different riggs, re-weight mapping and trying out different skelegon setups aswell as new Ik rigs..... Heeeelp... Also is AutoCharacter setup any good, I could purchase thta I suppose ?

Thanks for your time......

hrgiger
06-26-2004, 08:35 PM
Auto character setup 4 is a good program but I haven't seen any updates or improvements in a while so I'm not sure it's current for 8.
I really would recommend to continue to rip your hair out and force your way through it because you'll gain a lot more knowlege that way. Trust me, a lot of us have been there....

If you've already tried some of the publicly free rigs that are on the web, maybe if you asked some specific questions, you could get your way through it. What problems are you having exactly? If your bones are twisting wildly, it could be a few things but my guess is, either your bones dont' have limits set, or you're trying to use IK on every channel.

A few tips I can give you:

I would recommend using FK for the arms instead of IK. IK's nice but the shoulder is a complex joint and has a lot of movements that are hard to mimic and FK will give you a little more control. A more experience person can get away with using IK for the arms (or even an IK/FK blend) but you really have to understand what you're trying to get your bones to do and how to control them.

Try not to use IK on every channel. If you have a bone that has IK on heading, pitch, and bank, that bone is going to swing madly. Leave at least one of the channels set to keyframes so that it is under some control.

Set some limits for your bones so they can't move completely free and unchecked. Try to set some real world contstraints. Obviously, the arm doesn't bend backwards so figure out how far it should bend and then set a limit so it can't go past that point.

Try setting up your rig without weight maps. You might find that natural bone falloff works pretty well. You can also add additional bones to hold certain parts of the mesh from deforming or you can have bones push or pull certain parts. The auto character setup plug-in has a few rigs that are made to work without weight maps because it does this very thing. For example, it has a bone set to keep the butt from caving in when the leg swings forward. No weight maps required.

If you're looking for a good book, I really would recommend Timothy Albee's book Lightwave 7 character animation. He really does a great job of explaining the rigging process and I learned a lot from him.

Good luck and fee free to post any specific problems you're having.

Smiffto24
06-27-2004, 05:50 AM
Cheers for your help and tips Giger. Well basically I have been using a rig a found from a guy giving an Avi tutorial.

The setup up consists of a Hip Bone, Thigh Bone, Shine Bone, Ankle Bone ( with child ankle controller) Toe and toe tip bone.

This guys setup has IK and its brilliant but the Skelegons he used where created in the side viewport thus meaning that I cant use joint deformation and muscle bulging on the legs. When I try to re create the rig using skelegons in the front viewport and re match them to the other setup, I IK it ( the joint deformation works but the Toe bone ( which is targeted to a Ball null underneath violently twists!! ) What is the frigging deal with these skelegons, they have to made in a certain way blah blah

I have read as many tuts as I can but they confuse the heeealll out of me. I think I will try and purchase Timothy Albees book.

Do you know of other Leg setup I can download and pull apart? I do really need weight maps on the mesh because I need it to deform in the right places..

:confused:

Smiffto24
06-27-2004, 05:54 AM
also forgot to mention this, have seen people already are using LW8 ? I remember I bought LW6 and recvieved LW7 in the post free as an update, will this be the same with LW 7.5? after all I did pay somin like 1400 a few years ago. I wanna try out the new features!!

lesterfoster
06-27-2004, 09:31 AM
:confused: Have you looked at Thomas4D Rigging Tools (http://www.thomas4d.com/html/rigging_tools.html) yet?

Or a nether good one is The Setup Machine (http://www.tsmlw.com/index.html) Check out this Demo Video (http://www.tsmlw.com/movies/TSMLW_Quickstart-Biped.mov)

A good lip sync plugin isDAZ Mimic Pro for LightWAVE (http://secure.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=1993)

I hope this helps:)

hrgiger
06-27-2004, 09:46 AM
One thing I just noticed in the pic above and I can't believe I missed it the first time. See all those blue lines converging above the head that isn't there? Those are lines representing your IK chains. You need to terminate them so they don't all end there. Your IK needs to stop at some point so you can use your limbs individually. It seems the whole rig is IK and I can't imagine that's giving you very good results. Select one of the shoulder bones, hit m to bring up the motions panel and check the box that says terminate IK.