PDA

View Full Version : How to speed up the rendering...

nomad7
06-26-2004, 03:09 AM
Hi all!

I`m looking for any comments from people which could explain me if it`s possible to speed up the rendering process by buying a graphics card like the Nvidia QuadroFX series. By this I mean the final rendering process not any opengl stuff. How does it work? Does it works good with lightwave? It is really "boosts" all the rendering or some of it`s parts? Does it works only with normal mapping or also with procedural textures etc.? In fact how exactly it works inside LW?

By advance thank you for any answer.

Maciej

Lightwolf
06-26-2004, 07:04 AM
A faster openGL board will not help you at all for final renders in LW. The renderer is entirely software based, and can only be sped up by tricks or faster CPUs :)

Cheers,
Mike

Z_Render_8
06-26-2004, 11:57 AM
Depending on the scene you have, you can hide the characters or objects polygon size to 0% which is under the edges tab of the object properties panel. I do this when the objects are not seen by the camera. I have done this many times and it helps rendering the scene a little faster. LW doesn't calculate those polygons that are 0%

Be careful: Be sure to know when the characters' shadows come into play. You can get a strange quick pop in shadow effect when the character comes into the scene. Timing is very important.

Cheers

Anthony

nomad7
06-26-2004, 01:05 PM
Thank you for the small tip about hiding some objects but my main activity is illustration and I need to render all the objects and this in big resolutions... thats why I`m asking about some "hardware boost" before spending 4000usd in a dual Xenon monster ;) I hoped that a Quadro FX helps in this but I see that I have to move to Maya for this kind of solution :( I hope the guys from Newtek will improve that in LW9... but when? I`m getting old ;)

Z_Render_8
06-27-2004, 01:35 PM
I am sure you know about this and I haven't done it yet, but to get fast results, network rendering is the true means of speed. I wasn't sure what kind of work you do.

I could be wrong about this, but I think Lightwave renders faster than Maya. You would need to get renderman to get good results and some $$. As you know rendering doesn't come cheap these days. Good luck!;)

jamesl
06-27-2004, 10:39 PM
[i] I hoped that a Quadro FX helps in this but I see that I have to move to Maya for this kind of solution :( I hope the guys from Newtek will improve that in LW9... but when? I`m getting old ;) [/B]

Maya doesn't use hardware acceleration either, unless you use the Maya hardware renderer, which isn't a very high quality renderer. Have you tried Fprime?

j

nomad7
06-27-2004, 11:53 PM
Yes I know fprime but it`s a limitetd render, no volumetrics, no images process etc. Nice but to be improved. :)

jamesl
06-28-2004, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by nomad7
Yes I know fprime but it`s a limitetd render, no volumetrics, no images process etc. Nice but to be improved. :)

Just out of curiosity, are you rendering for print? What's the final size? How long have you been doing this, and using which other applications? No disrespect intended, but your questions seem a bit naive. If you're rendering for illustration, why do you need image processing (or even volumetrics), since you can render out layers and compose in Photoshop... giving you endless and speedy control over the final image?

j

Z_Render_8
06-28-2004, 07:38 PM
Hey James,

You just reminded me of something. Are you a user of fprime? Does it render motion blur images smoother than Lightwave renders? I was thinking of buying it.

Thanks

jamesl
06-28-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Z_Render_8
Hey James,

You just reminded me of something. Are you a user of fprime? Does it render motion blur images smoother than Lightwave renders? I was thinking of getting of buying it.

Thanks

Yes, I use fprime. And it's advantages FAR outweigh it's temporary limitations... and there's always a way around those.

LW motion blur:
http://www.worley.com/cool/LW_MB_12min_15sec.jpg

FPrime motion blur:
http://www.worley.com/cool/FP_MB_6min.jpg

j

Z_Render_8
06-28-2004, 10:15 PM
Wow, that looks really good. Thanks for the images. I will check it out when I am up and running with the computers. I need to learn how to network render with LW. Thanks!!!