PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Books

emoboy83
06-26-2004, 01:19 AM
Yeah I Know this has been addressed before but ive got a couple of specifics i want to ask
Okay im looking to buy about 3 lightwave books. I want one to cover texturing in general, one to cover lightwave as a whole of which i believe LightWave 3D 8: 1001 Tips & Tricks to be the best and finally i want a intermediate to advanced modeling book (eg, something that isnt go into great depth on simple things like rail extrustions etc.) I am currently using 7.5 and dont know when ill be able to get 8 so i was wondering if the 8 books were still relevent for 7.5. This is because when i do get 8 i dont want to have to upgrade my library. Anyway any comments would be appreciated so i can make some informed purchases.

Moser95814
06-26-2004, 08:21 AM
I recieved 1001 Tips and Tricks over a week ago and it is awsome and a must have for any serious Waver. All the tips note the versions they apply too and I haven't come across any that are 8 specific. Since there are alot of changes in menu options in 8 it will give you alternative methods but any 7.0+ user will greatly benifit. I know that it has decreased my workflow by a considerable amount. It is not a replacement for the manual, but a great supplement. Inside LW 8 is supposed to be coming out shortly and I would recommend getting that as an all round LW book that is very readable. (I have the previous version.) Can't help very much on the other books you need but if you do a search for Lightwave 3d on Amazon, I think you'll find almost every book out there and the reviews are very useful. You can search for ones that are specific to modeling and texturing as well.
1001 [email protected] also has an extensive listing of web sites to get tutorials and other resources, only half of which I already knew of.
Hope this helps.

emoboy83
06-26-2004, 06:51 PM
---

emoboy83
06-26-2004, 10:55 PM
Okay the books im thinking of getting are as follows:

Lightwave 3D 8: 1001 Tips and Tricks

Lightwave 3D 8 Texturing

Inside Lightwave 8

Essential Lightwave 3D 8

Now it's realy just a toss up over the last two for a general overall Lightwave Book. I realize that they aren't out yet but if anyone has purchased the previouse books for respective software versions or knows which one is better for an intermidiete Lightwave user then could you please help me out.

Also if anyone owns the texturing one then is it still relevant for 7.5?

Thanks

Signal to Noise
06-27-2004, 12:23 AM
You're making some very good choices in your decision. You should be okay with the [8] books using LW 7.5. You'll just need to figure out a workaround if a tool or workflow procedure is mentioned that isn't handled by 7.5. If you get stuck you could always post your question here.

I would recommend buying them all eventually, especially if you like maintaining a CG book library. However, if you are going to limit yourself to three of the four on your list then here's some thoughts on which one of the last two to get.

The Inside book is considered the LightWave tome to have. It's a massive book which should be approaching 1000 pages. Inside 7 was 1200+ pages! Hopefully Inside [8] will cover everything that pertains to LightWave [8] unlike some of the other books with [8] in the title but the actual content is minimal to [8]. I know Dan is working hard on the book and if it's anything like Inside [7] it will be a joy to work through.

Albee's Essential Lightwave [8] is a small book but is well written and contains a lot of fun and insightful tutorials. I may order this book but I already have his 7.5 Essential book so I'll need to see some significant new material before I shell some dinero out.

For the money, I would recommend you get Dan's book and definitely get it if you don't own a previous "Inside" book. I think they will be around the same price but Inside will be packed with a lot more info.

As for the 1001 Tips & Tricks, you mentioned you were buying this one "to cover lightwave as a whole". I've ordered this one but haven't received it yet. I'm looking forward to it. The way I see this book it will serve as more of a reference to intermediate and advance LW users. It may "cover LightWave as a whole" but it is by know means a manual or tutorial book replacement.

I have Leigh's Texturing book. I've skimmed over the chapters but haven't really began going through the exercises yet. I'm also waiting for WordWare to post the missing files from the book's CD on their site. According to Leigh the book is relevant to previous versions of LightWave as well. There may be some differences but there is usually a workaround to deal with a differing tool or procedure.

Good luck and happy reading 'n' wavin'!

waycool9
06-27-2004, 10:02 PM
I have lightwave 7 and reciently bought a book called "Inside Lightwave 7", sure is cool, has tutorails, (with a cd too), goes through pretty much everything. it could have gone through texturing/ surfacing more thoroughly, but meh..oh and the book costed 'bout $90.00 canadian or $60 usa.

riki
06-28-2004, 01:20 AM
Tips n Tricks is going to be pretty hard to beat.

meshmaster
06-29-2004, 10:17 AM
If you go to http://www.librarypoint.org you can sign up for a free account on http://www.netlibrary.com for free.

Attached image is what pulls up when I do a search for lightwave on netlibrary... these are pdf versions of the books that you can read anywhere in the world as long as you are on the internet! :)

meshmaster
06-29-2004, 10:18 AM
hit submit before I added the image.. here it is.

emoboy83
06-29-2004, 11:22 PM
Thanks alot for the insightful comments

Signal to Noise: Big thanks, for the info. I will probably get inside now. Looks like a good book albiet a little expensive to get in Australia.

Meshmaster: Wow. This is cool. Ive signed up and cant wait for them to activate my account. Thanks.

MiniFireDragon
06-30-2004, 08:18 AM
I found that 3-D Human modeling and animation (2nd Edition) by Peter Ratner is a nice book. It starts off by teaching u spline and sub-d modeling of simple objects then gives u a little lesson on human anatomy and muscle structure and then into Building a Male and Female character using both Splines and Sub-D's. I would think you could take the lessons and apply it to any form of organic modeling.