PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave on a Laptop - not working

sparky
06-26-2004, 12:19 AM
I'm going crazy. I got a new laptop (mac G4, 1.5 ghz, os x panther, 1 gig of memory, ATI Mobility Radeon 970, Lightwave 7.5), and Lightwave isn't working well at all.

Whenever I try to move anything or rotate, the view or object will jump way across the screen, or immediatly rotate about 800. For example: I click and start to rotate the perspective viewport. As soon as I start to move the mouse, the whole view flips upside down and locks up.

Usually after the inital jump, I can move the object, or poly easily for the rest of the time I have the mouse button down (however, once the viewport locks, I can't rotate anymore, and have to reset in the display window). The problem is that sometimes I just want to move something a little bit, and that's really hard when it's just jumped all the way across the viewport.

I've tried an optical mouse on a lot of different surfaces, a regular mouse, and the track pad, and it happens with all of them.

Can anyone help me? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

ingo
06-26-2004, 12:30 AM
Have you tried to change the input device in Lightwaves general options to tablet ?

sparky
06-26-2004, 09:14 AM
Thanks, that worked - I had to change it to tablet to make the mouse work. Isn't that weird?

Where do you change the input device in modeler? There isn't an option for that in the general options there.

sparky
06-26-2004, 09:56 AM
ok, I got it.

Z_Render_8
06-26-2004, 11:40 AM
I had the same problem too. Glad you fix it. LW 8 seems to be okay. I have the setting on mouse and it doesn't jump around. I think it is a panther thing with LW 7.5.

Cheers

DCordes
06-29-2004, 06:12 PM
Hey Sparky, after your fix is LW "really" usable on your mac laptop? Are you doing animation or stills? I'm a 3ds Max user at work and own LW 7.5 at home. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a laptop like yours, but from my past experience with LW on the mac, it's been very disappointing. Wish I could get my money back from Newtek, but that's another story. Sorry. Anyway, it's either stick with LW or go to Maya on the mac. Max is out of the question $$$$$.

Thanks,
Dale

Z_Render_8
06-29-2004, 07:04 PM
DCordes,

I use LW on a PC and a Mac. I do get great results on both machines.

If you plan to use Maya I would stick with a PC. I don't think alias wavefront is going to make Maya 6 unlimited for the Mac anymore. Also too, I think Lightwave renders faster than Maya.

What do you mean as far as being disappointed with LW? The layout of the program? Rendering performance?

I do love the mac performance and OS over the PC. But when it comes to 3d appilcations and plugins, PC is best. My $1,200 complete 3Ghz (128mb video, 512 ram) Dell system beats my $2,400 Dual 1.25Ghz (128mb, 2gig Ram) PowerMac G4 without a problem.

The laptops from apple are nice. However the single G4 1.5Ghz are not so great in rendering performance. It's okay. They are good for setting up your scenes and working in modeler when you are away. I still use my powerbook primso G3 500hz when I go away, yikes! But hey it does the job.

I understand the $$$$$ problem. I am not sure where you are with LW but give it a chance. It is a great 3d perfomer. Are you using [8] yet?

Cheers

:cool:

DCordes
06-29-2004, 09:48 PM
Hey Z Render,

Good point about Maya 6 Unlimited. It's not available on the mac side, just the Complete. What's with the name "Complete" anyway? Is it really Complete? I guess "Maya Not Entirely Complete" doesn't have the same ring?

Actually, I'd get Not Entirely Complete anyway. $2000 beats Max's 3,500+all programs I'm using on the mac side for artwork.

I'd really like to stay with the mac these days. A portable studio would be the best right now. so that's why I'm checking out LW on a laptop. As far as LW 8 goes, I'm a bit leery on the mac development these days. I hope I'm wrong and it will be fine. I've modeled on the PC side with LW and really liked it. I guess I've never had a decent dual processor on the mac side, so my opinion is tainted there, but I do like modeling in LW 7.5. The UV mapping is pretty cool to after you get it down. You can build so much so fast. Clean geometry BABY! Unlike the triangle world of Max.

OK- Now to cut booleans in Max, just shoot me....

BassPlayer
06-30-2004, 07:18 AM
Maya Unlimited for OS X was announced on Monday (at WWDC). It'll be released sometime later this year.