PDA

View Full Version : Workspaces

Hanji
03-27-2003, 09:17 PM
I'd like to see the ability to save "workspaces" in Modeler, i.e. files containing information like

Open objects
FG/BG Layers
Backdrops
Open dialogs
Current default surface
Etc.

Basically, all that state information that you have when working in modeler that but that is lost on every quit.
Maybe this is sorta minor, but it would be nice to be able to boot modeler, load ONE file, and jump right back in where you left off.
Edited to add:
Additionally, such files could store things like display settings/content dir/etc. - All the state information that is global, but that you might like to vary from project to project. This is probably less important, as typically you most likely don't switch between many objects in a small period of time, but could still be useful.

hrgiger
03-27-2003, 11:13 PM
I think the most important one out of there that I would like to see is background images. It's not a big deal, it doesn't take long to load your settings back but I think it would be nice. All the little things add up.

Hanji
03-28-2003, 06:31 AM
My thoughts exactly.
The real reason I want this is for BG images as well, but I figured that as long as I'm asking, I'm sure other people could find the other things useful.

KillMe
03-28-2003, 05:12 PM
you can save you background images - in display options where you put the images in go to presets and in there save all backgrounds then you can load them up when you start modeling again saves setting them up all again

hrgiger
03-28-2003, 07:07 PM
We know you can save your background images as settings KillMe. what we would like to have is to be able to save the background images as part of the object file so we don't have to load the images everytime we start modeler.

lord
03-28-2003, 09:49 PM
I'll vote for that!

Personally drives me nuts having to load up the bloody preset thing everytime I start work in modeler.

I would love to see this implemented in 8.

hrgiger
03-28-2003, 09:58 PM
You would just have to make sure I assume that you don't move your images since your object file would have a path name to that file on your computer. I suppose you could imbed the actual image in the .lwo file but that could make for considerably larger file sizes.

lord
03-28-2003, 10:11 PM
hrgiger,

think of it as much the same as a texture map perhaps.

Castius
03-29-2003, 09:10 AM
I'm All for a cleaner way of saving thoughs things.

Just on a side note if you want to have differnt work profiles now all you need to do is make a new folder with all your configs in it and make a new shortcut and add -c <new folder> after the .exe. It can be nice when you doing differnt things.