PDA

View Full Version : More Captain Scarlet news...

Aegis
06-25-2004, 02:12 PM
There's an interview with Ron Thornton in this months 3D World magazine along with a number of images from Captain Scarlet (including a scene I worked on :D) - also - we're recruiting again! See the jobs section on www.flay.com for details...

Jaffro
06-25-2004, 04:44 PM
Hey Aegis!

Looking forward to reading that, cheers for the tip :)

I was there on tuesday, wow! How cool! The atmosphere is just great, not sure what department your on but the whole color teams working on an episode each makes a really cool atmosphere. Competitive yet all working together, you must learn alot and push what you can do alot too.

Aegis
06-25-2004, 05:41 PM
Hey Jaffro!

Glad you had a good time! So that was your group checking out Scarlet Team's episode eh?

I'm on White Team and we've only just started our episode which I guess is why you didn't come over to our side of the studio (not much to show yet!) I've worked on vehicle rigging, hair and fur effects and set building for Scarlet and Blue Teams too - never a dull moment :D

Competitive yet all working together, you must learn alot and push what you can do alot too.

Heh! Yeah - there's a competitive element to it but we all pitch in to help each other out - it's a great place to learn new techniques (it's a great place period) and we're constantly pushing ourselves to create ever more impressive shots :cool:

BeeVee
06-26-2004, 01:00 AM
An extended version of the interview should have gone live on our site yesterday, but we've now got a trailer that 1.5 minutes long and really rocks to go with. We need to do some tweaking on it (it's a bit big for the site at the moment), but I want it to go live on Monday...

B

Aegis
06-26-2004, 06:02 AM
Nice work Ben! Good to see Scarlet getting some publicity! :D

Jaffro
06-26-2004, 07:21 AM
Yea that was us! :) getting in the way of people and causing a fuss! Thats not the only episode we saw either :D

4 of us have a chance at work placement in the summer, there's about 9 or 10 of us that want to go tho so we're doing a mini reel and the best 4 get sent to you guys! :D

Cant wait to see that trailer BV!

BeeVee
06-26-2004, 08:19 AM
It really rocks - I downloaded it here at home, but it's too big as it stands to go online on our website at 50meg. I'm going to see if I can get it down to about 20...

B

Aegis
06-26-2004, 05:32 PM
QuickTime's MPEG-4 will make the Mac guys (and gals) happy - it's also killer at crunching down video - try it at maximum quality with key frames every 25 or 30 frames...

CAClark
07-03-2004, 09:25 AM
So how do you rate your chances of snagging a work placement here then Jaffro? I don't work on a colour team myself, but I liek the way that is set up for the episode teams too.

Cheers!

Jaffro
07-03-2004, 09:43 AM
hmm, not great tbh :) I've been tied up this past week making a website for our degree show so i haven't been able to put as much time into impressive work as i'd like.

I've got today and tommrow to come up with something more exciting than M&S visualisations! :o heh working on modeling a 'nuke cannon' from C&C generals concept art, hopefully i'll have it textured by the time i goto bed tonight (wishful thinking). Also got a nice biplane that i have alot of reference material for so should be able to model quickly. See if i can throw some other bits in there that i think would be more revelent to the captain scarlet production.

Hard competition from character animators too (tho we were told that a lot of mocap was being used and they're trying to increase it), and my tutor doesn't like me at the moment because i spend too much time doing work for other people and not enough time on my own work! :D odds are stacked against me :rolleyes: but i'll give it me best this weekend.

rating: now: 4/10, sunday night: 7+/10 (if all goes well). :D

adboy
07-03-2004, 11:30 AM
if u get it aim for the scarlet team

its the best one :D

Jaffro
07-03-2004, 11:39 AM
there's more of you here?! cool :D

*if* i get in i'll see what i'm offered ;) tho what we saw of the scarlet teams work did look really cool :D not even sure what they want us for yet, probably tea :p

Aegis
07-04-2004, 05:00 AM
not even sure what they want us for yet, probably tea

LOL! Coffee for me - strong and with a little milk and a little sugar :D

if u get it aim for the scarlet team its the best one

Hah! Don't listen to adboy - the only reason Scarlet's work looks so good is 'cause they started first and conned the whole studio into helping 'em out... :D :D :D

Jaffro
07-04-2004, 05:41 AM
haha well i'm good at tea and coffee so that should get me bonus points! ;) vote me vote me! :D
What is it that the teamed do, is it all animation lighting rendering stuff? I'm, imo, no good at character animation. but hard body vehicle setup, particles and the likes i can hold my own in :) I'm best at modeling mind u.

adboy
07-04-2004, 07:05 AM
Hah! Don't listen to adboy - the only reason Scarlet's work looks so good is 'cause they started first and conned the whole studio into helping 'em out...

lies i tell u!! dont listen to Aegis aka "random key strokes"

ok maybe he's right but lets keep that on the down low :)

as for the teams we basically do all your favorite stuff

the animators do the character stuff, the assets team make the props and sets and the guys on the coloured teams put it all together and add the fx rigging and pretty colours, then the saviours in compositing make it all look good

Jaffro
07-04-2004, 07:56 AM
cool that does sound like my street :D

Jaffro
07-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Get this for a screwy story...

When i went to talk to my tutor on friday he said to bring in a cd on monday (i asked him directly if he wanted me to email it or bring a cd and he said cd) with what i wanted put onto the dvd that was going to be viewed by someone at captain scarlet, so they could pick the top 4 / the people they wanted.

So i've worked fairly hard this weekend to get this disk sortted for today (had very little sleep last night!). When i get in today to give my disk to him he comes over to show me a copy of the dvd he sent over the weekend! To top it off it had none of my work on it or even my name mentioned.

It turns out that it was initially requested that the dvd was on their/your(you know what i mean?) desk on sunday, but my tutor managed to push it to first thing monday morning. Not that he decided to tell me, i think i was the only person who decided to give a more targeted examples of work rather than the generic character animation that everyone done for this terms project - not that he included mine anyway!

grrr - sorry had to rant somewhere :mad: What really gets me, and makes it funny if i'm right, is that we were first asked if we were intrested/good at Lightwave modeling, lighting and rendering for the placements. And also hearing about the increasing use of mocap, I get the feeling that your not in need of an influx of character animators? So if thats right its odd that he'd send out a dvd thats 80-100% character animation.

*sigh* i feel better now. Thanks :)

lesterfoster
07-05-2004, 06:08 PM
To Jaffro.

That would "P" me off to..

Look at the brighter side of life. You know the old saying NICE GUYS FINNISH LAST. I think that this is true for the GOOD ONE's TOO.!!!

I am shore that you well get your chance to get PAID for what you love to do soon.

Aegis
07-06-2004, 12:10 AM
Hey Jaffro - bummer! Sounds like some crossed wires :confused: - send us your stuff anyway - I'd love to see it!

Andrew Morgan
The Indestructible Production Co.
2nd Floor
Stanley Kubrick Building
Pinewood Studios
Iver Heath
SL0 0NH

Oh, and check your PM's :)

lesterfoster
07-06-2004, 07:04 AM
Do it NOW!

colkai
07-06-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by lesterfoster
Do it NOW!

And prijnt a copy of this page out (blanking out your comments natch), then wave it under the nose of the tutor! :p :D

Ok, I'll get back in my cage now. ;)

Jaffro
07-06-2004, 03:10 PM
WOW :D cool, thanks Aegis! :) If i get in i know who's getting the first drink, was that strong coffee with milk and a tad of sugar? ;)
*jumping around a bit* :D

lesterfoster
07-06-2004, 05:57 PM
.;)quote by Jaffro

WOW cool, thanks Aegis! If i get in i know who's getting the first drink, was that strong coffee with milk and a tad of sugar?

I think that letting your tutor know that you got noticed is good enough. Happy that you got a chance.:p :cool:

Jaffro
07-06-2004, 06:02 PM
No way, i'm a foward thinking person. always looking to the future :D Just sometimes too far ahead :P Its amazing to have the support of forums and just generally contact to the world, learning has/is radically changing.