PDA

View Full Version : render flickers and rubbish

dogs_dinner
06-25-2004, 03:09 AM
hi,

hmmm this may be a probem with the hardware, I.e. me but Im having a few probs with a few renders:

first is When flying a camera around a scene Im occasionally getting a flickering effect, looks like fog building up with a nasty line, then disappearing. Erm look at the pic on the left and itll make a little more sense.

second is this crap on the renders in the other pic. is this to do with the camera being too close to erm stuff in the scene????

gazmon
06-29-2004, 08:09 AM
hiya
not entirely sure whats goin on there! maybe something to do with shadow or radiosity cacheing. Dont think that objects being close to the camera should affect it..
It may be helpful to let us know what rendering settings you have?
Gaz

Mylenium
06-29-2004, 01:28 PM
It looks like your polygons are not properly smoothed (are they tripled?) and the scale of your entire scene is confusing the renderer (is it built to reflect realworld measurements?). Below a certain scale internal calculations of LW are not as precise and thus all of a sudden clipping/ ray intersection errors occur.

Mylenium

dogs_dinner
07-08-2004, 02:52 AM
hi ,

thanks for the suggestions, sorry about slow reply: holiday in the sun.

There is nothing wrong with the models as far as i can see, polys all plainar, smooting is er smooth man. All measurements are approx real world.

Erm I'm still non the wiser however this problem only appeared when rendering out directly to Quicktime. The problem disappears when rendering out RLAs

so er there you go

Am still looking for an explanation and av attached render/camera settings just for fun
thanks though

mark

Mylenium
07-08-2004, 04:21 AM
So that would be screwed QT frames then... Sometimes frames will not be written properly in a video stream and thus shouw distortions. Since compression methods such as Sorenson are based on analyzing multiple frames, those errors then affect a whole series of frames. Also some CoDecs will limit the dynamic range of the colors and shift them around which could explain some of the strange shadow like effects.

Mylenium

JamesCurtis
07-08-2004, 08:29 AM
They're right about compression by the codecs. Personally, just in case you'd ever have a system or program crash, I'd render out to frames first in LW and then use Quicktime or an editing program to build an anim from the frames. Of course to do this you'd need the pro version of Quicktime or an editing program such as Adobe Premiere, Aura, or Mirage.

Exper
07-08-2004, 08:41 AM
I'll add DFX+! ;)

If you have enough HD space and you don't have particular needings then you can go with VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org); it's free and it loads bmp or tga sequences!