PDA

View Full Version : Advice on mapping a spiral?

Johnny
06-25-2004, 12:51 AM
I'm making a spiral which will have some text mapped to it.

Making my spiral is easy; I can lathe and offset a 2-point segment to create the geometry.

UV mapping to that proved confusing; Layout didn't render what I saw in modeler.

My 2nd attack is to map my text to a simple rectangle, then to bend THAT into my spiral shape...

Is plan 2 a good idea, or would trying to map to my spiral be better?

I'm pretty new to UV mapping, so I've probably made some dumb greenhorn mistake along the way!

thanks for any pointers.

J

pdrake
06-25-2004, 01:07 AM
maybe stencil it?

Johnny
06-25-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by pdrake
maybe stencil it?

are you referring to that boolean technique or something like that?

J

Johnny
06-25-2004, 01:21 AM
OK...I seem to be making some progress thru noodling, but I'd still like to get any feedback on my approach and technique..

what's working now is that I took my rectangle and applied Seashell to get the kind of spiral surface I wanted...UV mapped my text to that (which involved a lot of fussing to get the UVs properly lined up with the rectangular text).

Added a few knife cuts to kill the rounded ends after Sub-D, and it' seems to be getting on the road to getting done.

I just wonder how a more seasoned person would tackle this one.

my gut tells me that making the spiral using lathe and offset to produce the geometry, then UV mapping to that ought to work properly...

thanks!

J

mkiii
06-25-2004, 01:32 PM
I'm not sure exactly what type of spiral you need, but the seashell tool allows you to create an unwrapped UV map from its numeric panel, allowing you to paint your text in a nice straight line on your texture.

Johnny
06-25-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by mkiii
I'm not sure exactly what type of spiral you need, but the seashell tool allows you to create an unwrapped UV map from its numeric panel, allowing you to paint your text in a nice straight line on your texture.

OK...that sounds like the ticket...I saw that option, but I need to tinker and learn how to use it...

thanks!

J