PDA

View Full Version : Modelling with Triangles (Basic)

Stev1959
06-24-2004, 06:33 AM
Hey all,

I'm new here and new to Lightwave Modeler. I'm interested in modeling objects for use in a game, however, after playing around with the modeler for a few hours, I found the basics fairly easy to learn but that was modelling using squares and not triangles. As soon as I tried modeling using triangles I was quickly lost...

Can anyone please give me a little advice on the best, most professional way of modeling with triangles (the Basics) or point me in the direction of some apropriate tutorials... Also, is there any way of converting a model that has been built with square faces into a triangular face model (Hope that makes sense!?!) :confused:

Thanks for your help!

Stev

Shloime
06-24-2004, 08:25 AM
Hi.

In modeler in the "general options" there is a selection field for newly created polygons, where you can choose between quads, triangles or automatic. If you choose triangles, then you'll get them for example with bevels or extrusions.
To convert quads into triangles is easy. There's a button (I think under "subdivide" or "construct"?) called triple. It will take every polygon with more than three points and cut it into triangles, which works fine with quads, but when you have polys with lots of points, then the results are sometimes questionable. For info: the "triple"-button will not create new points within a polygon, it will just subdivide between the existing points.
Hope that helps,