PDA

View Full Version : Long.............Render Times

badllarma
06-24-2004, 01:01 AM
Well I'm glad i'm not the only one suffering with this problem :D

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/06/21/BUGME78HCO1.DTL&type=printable

makes my current 5 hours pale into nothingness :)
30 - 40 hours per frame! :cool:

Hervé
06-24-2004, 07:32 AM
40 hours...? they should hire Steve (Worley) to work with them.... and turn those 40 hours into 40 min...:D

I wish I have 3000 cpu's....:rolleyes:

Panikos
06-24-2004, 08:26 AM
Salut mon ami Herve

I used to render test-pics for a personal project that required 60 hours.
I know its insane, but the difference is in quality.
Having more rendering power gives you the ability to add more weight to your work, so eventually you reach at the same situation that your rendering power is again not enough.

You have to know where to stop, and keep a balance.

Dreamworks as well as other major animation facilities have in house programmers. Steve Worley is great, but for some deep calculations there is no short-path.

hrgiger
06-24-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Hervé

I wish I have 3000 cpu's....:rolleyes:

Actually that would be 3300. 3,000 were hp server computers and then another 300 dual processor computers running linux. And by their estimation of 10,000,000 computer hours, it would have only taken them 127 days or a little over 4 months to render the movie which I think is pretty impressive.

nerdyguy227
06-24-2004, 04:43 PM
I loved that movie!

I wonder what the render times will be if they make a shrek 3!!!

They would need NVidia's super renderly atomic overloaded fast speed farm!

Hervé
06-24-2004, 11:24 PM
Hey Salut Panikos ! hi HGiger

hummmm.... the maximum render time I've ever waited was something like 12 hours, I could never render longer, coz I have only one PC and I cannot think of not working on it during daytime... I've cancelled many many many renders that were just too long for my taste.... and when I look at it, the long renders are not even the best ones I have....

I am waiting a remix of F_prime.... but you know what ? Before F_Prime was released, I rarely used Radiosity (too long), but today I find myself using it very often, so instead of speeding my renders, and like you said in your post, I am falling back in long render times..... I guess the more power we'll have, the more we'll put in our LW scenes....

BTW, what do you call deep calculations ? deep shadows ? (btw, I wish LW would have that...)

Cheers all.....

so 3,300 cpus.... go figure....:D

Hervé
06-24-2004, 11:27 PM
BTW, could you tell me if you see something on your computer.... I am trying to build my first site...

http://users.lu.coditel.net/topixel/

Salut
Hervé

Panikos
06-25-2004, 02:49 AM
Bonjour mon ami Herve

By "deep calculations" I mean calculations that take long time to be performed.
If we consider that all 3d-apps are using similar algorithms, I would say that some effects like :

- Soft Reflections
- Soft Refractions
- Area Lights
- Radiosity/Caustics/SSS
- Volumetrics/Instancing
- Multiple Ray Recursions in Reflections/Refractions/Radiosity
- Hair/Fur
- HighPoly scenes

take long time to render.
Of course with the evolution of technology, at some point some of these effects enter the "everyday-use category" and new effects enter the hard-list, so there is always a stragle of making something revolutionary without paying the rendering penalty.

I visited your new web, using Mozilla.
All I see is a blank page ;)

Bon chance dans Euro2004.
Naturally I support Greece, however I enjoy all matches :D

Alliante
06-25-2004, 02:05 PM
Soooo

At 24 frames per second on a 120 minute movie, and 40 hours per frame to render and 3000 CPU farm.

Almost 13 and a half weeks to render?

Not too shabby ;) Faster than Disney's hand-painters I bet.

Hervé
06-26-2004, 03:08 AM
AAAaaahhhh Panikos, we've lost yesterday ! OK Greece was the best, I wont argue on that !

It's normal if you see a white page , it's loading a falshanim made in LW, and there is no Loadingbar nor skip button yet....

Good luck for the Euro Finale 2004, mon ami Panikos ! Ok starting now I am for Greece... Let's go Greece !:D ;)

Panikos
06-26-2004, 06:10 AM
Salut mon ami Herve.
You are mon ami whatever the football results :D
Cest la vie !

Personally, I think that French team needed refresh. Its the end of a very good team that won a World Cup and a Euro.
Time for new players.
Look @ Zidane. He got so much money out of commercials. He is a great player, but a single bird or two birds dont bring the Spring season as we say.

Thats all, back 2 LW :)

Hervé
06-27-2004, 12:39 AM
Hello Panikos, I think you're right, as I said to my son, some in the team have way too much money, so for them, if they win or not is not a big deal anymore.... like you say, time for a refresh !:D

Ok, back to our baby LW....;)

Panikos
07-02-2004, 11:27 AM
Hey Herve :)

Bon jour mon ami

Greece plays on Sunday against Portugal.

We want the Cup to take it to Acropolis :cool:

Hervé
07-03-2004, 12:36 AM
Hey Panikos mon ami ! I am with Greece now !
I'll watch that match Sunday for sure !!;) :D

If you win , your challenge is to reproduce the EuroCup in LW....

ahh next week vacation time as usual in Normandy....

talk to you next week.... no internet there...:(

Good Luck for the Euro cup !:D

Panikos
07-03-2004, 02:34 AM
Merci beaucoup :D

nerdyguy227
07-04-2004, 09:52 AM
Is this on topic?

Panikos
07-04-2004, 10:01 AM
Unfortunately, No, I admit.
However, judging from the overall benefit of the communication between people in these discussion forums, I dont think that 3-4 lines of OFF-Topic content is a sin.

:)

nerdyguy227
07-04-2004, 11:19 AM
No, I just was wondering if this had anything to do with the discussion. It is not that I really care.

Lightwolf
07-04-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by nerdyguy227
No, I just was wondering if this had anything to do with the discussion. It is not that I really care.
Well, since the topic is long render times...
Nothing like a good chat to stay busy while waiting for a render :) (or, for some, watch football :p ).

Cheers,
Mike - who's had his share of waiting too....

nerdyguy227
07-04-2004, 04:23 PM
lol

Ya, I just thought I missed something between replies.

Anyway, do you think dreamworks pictures will make a shrek 3?

Shrek 2 was really good. I hope it comes out on video soon!

Panikos
07-04-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Hervé
Hey Panikos mon ami ! I am with Greece now !
I'll watch that match Sunday for sure !!;) :D

If you win , your challenge is to reproduce the EuroCup in LW....

Good Luck for the Euro cup !:D

Oky, you asked for it.
Rendered with FPrime. Model structure out of photos.

:cool:

omeone
07-05-2004, 01:36 AM
very sweet Panikos :)
you make it sound so easy!

Hervé
07-14-2004, 02:41 AM
Hey this is fast and great mon ami Panikos !

Greece really deserved to win !!!! Yeahhh !!

err.... nice cup, but why did you made it so the reflections are so blurry.... but I guess with all the sweating hands touching it, that produced blurred reflections...:D

OK, now I am waiting the start for the Olympics 2004... Greece is really the Country of the Year ! The Place to be... !

Cheers Mon ami Panikos !;)

Panikos
07-16-2004, 02:27 AM
merci mon ami Herve :)

avec plaisir :cool:

trentonia
07-16-2004, 07:52 AM
OK...I haven't mentioned this in a long, long time, but...you guys should check out http://www.respower.com . They now have over 400 nodes at 1.5 THz of processor power. That's 1500 GHz! Long render times don't matter anymore.

riki
07-16-2004, 08:20 AM
My longest render for a single print resolution frame took 2days on 10 x 2 GHz Pentium 4s each with a GB of RAM. I hate to think how long that would be on my ole G4.