PDA

View Full Version : A Clayton's Newtek & Lightwave

riki
06-23-2004, 09:53 PM
I spotted this alt Newtek awhile ago http://www.newtek.com.au/

but just noticed this Lightwave today http://www.lightwave.com/

It kinda makes me wonder how this effects a products trademark??

Signal to Noise
06-23-2004, 10:24 PM
NewTek (US) probably can't do anything about the Aussie company. Different countries, different trademark laws.

However, I wonder if NewTek can do anything about the www.lightwave site? I stumbled across it a while ago because I thought I would get LightWave/NewTek by typing in "www.lightwave.com". Like Avid's site where you can also type in "www.softimage.com". The www.lightwave site is misleading because the company is actually called "Digital Lightwave". Not sure if NewTek have any grounds with domain names...?

harlan
06-23-2004, 11:40 PM
I don't know, but I just found that Solar Panel I've been looking for! ;)

Hervé
06-23-2004, 11:41 PM
funny.... fact is they choose a name that was to generic.... newtek could be even for selling ovens....

While I am here I just wanyed to say that the community looks like everyone has jumped ship....

before LW8, I could see much much more people posting stuff....

Looks kinda' dead for now...:(

riki
06-24-2004, 12:17 AM
The first time I saw the aussie version of Newtek was at a Tech Trade Fair, all the booths were in alphabetical order which meant that the two Newteks and Newmagic were actual opposite each other. Took me a few minutes to work it out :)

Karmacop
06-24-2004, 12:58 AM
I don't think Newtek electronics would have a chance except that Newtek isn't a company in Australia, and so there's no infringement. I don't think Lightwave would have a problem though as one is a product and one is a company, and they are in different areas (graphics and networking).

cgolchert
06-24-2004, 11:22 AM
Usually domain names have to be an obvious stab at the other company.

If you tried to register a name like lukeskywalker.com Lucas go come in and sue you for the domain. Since Newtek is a rather generic play on spelling it doesn't have the same kind of chances. Do a google serach for the word "lightwave" about 1/3-1/2 of the hits will be for optics, lasers or other industrial stuff.

Kvaalen
06-24-2004, 01:08 PM
Interesting... LightWave.com didn't exist for a long time... I always wondered why NewTek didn't own that as well as or instead of LightWave3d.com for that exact same reason... someone else taking it and getting their traffic.

CB_3D
06-24-2004, 01:45 PM
www.maya.com

:-)

nerdyguy227
06-24-2004, 04:47 PM
Lightwave.com was the first website I tried when my friend told me about lightwave. I got really confused and then eventually found the real website with the help of google

riki
06-24-2004, 05:22 PM
whitehouse.com is another. I wonder how many kids go to that site looking for info on their latest school project. :)

John Fornasar
06-24-2004, 07:22 PM
Do a search on amazon - Lightwave electronic

you'll get about 600 hits... at one time, there were more books listed for electronics than 3D.

riki
06-24-2004, 07:27 PM
Actually the reason I started this thread, was after messing around on the Google site and signing up for their 'Alert' system which I think is still in beta mode. Anyway it's been sending me all these odd Lightwave Links

Here's yet another: http://lw.pennnet.com/Articles/Article_Display.cfm?Section=OnlineArticles&SubSection=Display&PUBLICATION_ID=13&ARTICLE_ID=207061

John Fornasar
06-24-2004, 07:57 PM
Lightwave fibre/electronics is a big world out there...

I'm not familiar with the Google Alert, but will they let you use booleans for the alerts?

try something along the lines of:

Lightwave and 3D not fibre not elec

UnCommonGrafx
06-24-2004, 08:50 PM
That was the very first "Lightwave" site where I landed. It's a pretty old site.
I read the whole site, appreciating the irony.