PDA

View Full Version : movies through HDR shop?

3dgirl
06-23-2004, 09:23 PM
i have a movie with lots of glinty bits which i want to use as a reflection map on an object. Just putting it on as it is doesn't seem to give me a very nice effect, especially on the "flat" areas of the object, where it doesn't seem to refelct much at all. I got a much better effect by putting a single frame from the movie through HDR shop, but doesn't look like you can put a whole movie through HDR shop. Can you? or what's the trick to making reflections look good without it?

dwburman
06-24-2004, 06:45 AM
When you put it through HDRShop did you put multiple frames in or just 1 24-bit image (essentially taking a 24 bit image and sticking it in HDRI colorspace)?

If that is the case you might be able to push the color range of the sequence in Lightwave's Image Editor. I experimented briefly with Texture Filter from the image processor panel. I added the image and then added a gradient on top of that set to "previous layer" and set to additive. I had white at 0 and black at 1.0. You can crank the layer opacity. Larry Schultz has mentioned this technique but I'm not sure exactly how to implement it.

3dgirl
06-24-2004, 04:01 PM
thanks! just read up about in in the manual, it's not quite what I'm after as it actually just produces a procedural texture which it projects onto the surface of your object, regardless of the image it's applied- it says "it really doesn't matter what image you use as it will be obscured by the textures". I actually want to see my image, not a procedural.

thanks though!