PDA

View Full Version : Rubik's Cube Animation Help

Teig
03-27-2003, 04:09 PM
I am trying to animate a Rubik's cube. I have modeled the cube in an array of 27 cubes in a 3x3x3 alignment. I am manually selecting and rotating the faces. The problem im having is that when i attempt to make a 90 deg. rotation of the 2nd face. it is adding additional rotation to the common cubes in the rotation. When a single face is rotated 90 deg over 30 frames on the "P" axis, there are no additional axis rotation. When I start the 2nd face rotation in frames 31-60 it adds "H" axis angles in the 1st 30 frames. I have Enable IK = Off and no cubes are parented.

Thanks in advance

Rory_L
03-27-2003, 10:28 PM
I`m a little confused by your description, but are you talking about gimble lock? If you have each mini cube parented to a null and rotate both the null and the mini cube object at the same time you`ll only be rotating each 45 degrees each time and won`t end up with gimble lock.

R

Danner
03-28-2003, 01:05 AM
A rubics cube animation sounds like a perfect use for dinamic parenting, parent all the cubes on the side you are rotating to the center square, and after the rotation un parent them.

LW_Will
03-28-2003, 06:53 PM
Okay... had a friend who did this and he had to buy a plugin for dynamic parenting... aren't you glad that you don't have to...

Now... you've got to look out for your centers. Those are the areas that the blocks will rotate around. What I would do is make each block seperate in a layer with a center zeroed at the center of each block.

Then, in layout, I'd set up a hirarchy of Nulls to control the motion of each block. You can't really get to a fully functional Rubic Cube, but it will allow you to move a cube in pitch then heading space...

Gods... I hope that makes sence...

Teig
03-28-2003, 11:40 PM
I dont understand what you mean about Dynamic Parenting. What I'm currently doing is selecting 9 pieces on a side, and rotation them by hand. The problem I'm running into is that after a few turns I get some weird movements. I have included a pictiure that shows this. The Left cube is it working correctly, the left one was done the same way but certian cubes aren't going the way they should.