PDA

View Full Version : Print to Tape: How?

cvwcorp
06-23-2004, 09:47 AM
VT3 & Sony UVW-1800 BetaSP deck, RS-422, deck control working.

We want to start using Print to Tape, but we must be missing something. We have deck control working and active. In VT Edit, we try File->Print to Tape, and nothing happens.

We do see the Print to Tape inputs available on the computer generated sources in the switcher, etc.

Just can't get it to activate the deck and roll the project.

bradl
06-26-2004, 02:17 PM
What exactly happens? Does the PtoT module load? Can you choose a deck from the list? Are you addressing the right port? Can you control the deck using Deck Control module?

We use Print to Tape many times a week. It can get hung up, usually by patching a deck while the module is running or even VT running. When we are really having trouble, we double check our patch and then reboot.

cvwcorp
06-28-2004, 08:52 AM
Yes, the Print to Tape module loads (although it took us a while to notice, because- for some strange reason- it kept popping up behind all of the open 'Not Always on Top' modules), and everything seems to be working fine until we actually hit "Print to Tape."

Yes, we can choose the deck and have deck control. Playback works great. When we try PtoT, it tries to work for a second and the tape tries to preroll, but- after a long pause- VT3 displays "An Error Has Occured."

The thing that's bugging me is the TC Generator mode on the deck. When I try to PtoT in REC RUN mode, I get the VT3 error, and the deck tells me that it must be in FREE RUN mode (which makes no sense to me, because I only want the TC running while I'm recording)...but when I switch to FREE RUN, I get the same error in VT3, but with no explanation on the deck.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

SCS
06-28-2004, 10:56 AM
I've had the same trouble.

Your UVW1800's TC generator should be in Regenerate, not Preset mode.

Also, look through the deck's menu and see if there are selections to enable VITC as well as LTC and Internal TC source.

Are you trying to do an Assemble edit?
Try striping the tape first and performing an Insert edit instead (not sure if you have to select TC as well as V, A1 & A2).

bradl
06-28-2004, 07:05 PM
We only use insert mode on a 'stripped' tape. I avoid assemble mode in all but the most desparate circumstances. For insert, just choose from among V/A1/A2.

Like SCS was saying how the switches are set can make all the difference with Assemble. Some editors want Preset for Assemble (the matching code comes down the 422) some need you to match the code by using Regen. Either case I believe Internal is in order.

Do a quick test of all the settings and note the ones that work for you. Sometime 2F/4F switch can cause constant re-locks if it is set to 4F. Particularly with Digibeta for us. We tend to leave BetaSP in 2F/4F. Sometimes stripping in 4F then editing in 2F will give good results.

If you are still having problems, check your reference signal and if you don't have one make sure you are not set to external reference but internal or input.

cvwcorp
06-29-2004, 08:23 AM
Beautiful.

I took all of your advice, and through a number of changes, finally got it working! Striping the tape seemed to be the clencher.

This is going to help so much. Thanks to everyone for your input.