PDA

View Full Version : surfaces disappear in Director when camera moves

waterpearl
06-23-2004, 08:49 AM
Hello, everyone.

This is a bit frustrating: I created a gallery with pictures (jpgs as texture) on the wall in Lightwave (walls are simple color surfaces). When I export the scene to Director and start to dolly the camera toward the pictures, the wall seems to come through and what you see of the pictures is just vertical lines. You are able to see it correctly when you are either far away or very close in the mean time you can't see but vertical lines whare the pictures are. Also walls pertrude through walls.

Question 1: Camera properties in Lightwave? (please be specific, there are so many options).
Question 2: Is there a trick I should know about surfaces when exporting them to Director?
Question 3: Can this be fixed in Director?

Thank you for your help.
Katja

Noclar7
06-23-2004, 09:01 AM
Are you using a null to control your camera in lightwave? If not, try parenting your camera to a null, and then animate the null. Shockwave doesn't accept Lightwave camera animation properly when exported.
For the problem with your gallery, it might be your cameras clipping distance. Is the scale of your scene proper?

Alot of these problems and more can be resolved using a plugin for Director called "3DPI" or 3D property inspector.

http://www.3dpi-director.com/

it will allow you to edit a vast amount of properties that you cannot access/edit through lightwave.

cheers,
RJ

Noclar7
06-23-2004, 09:03 AM
btw, there is somewhat of a shockwave section here in the forum as well that has alot of good info kicking around. & welcome to the forums.

dsdsdsdsd
06-23-2004, 10:05 AM
hello Noclar7;

I am having this problem as well; I have found in the Director help a discussion about 'hither' and 'yon'; is this what you mean when you talk about 'clipping distance';

and if so are 'yon' and 'hither' ONLY accessible via Lingo (and/or 3DPI);
Or is there some way within native Director to affect 'hither' and 'yon';

thanks
Shannon Burnett

Noclar7
06-23-2004, 10:13 AM
your right on the money dsd. and yes it is only accessable through director. Right now when using shockwave and lightwave, 3DPI is your best bet, unless your extremely profficient in lingo. 3DPI will actually write out the lingo that needs to be added to adjust these parameters for you.

dsdsdsdsd
06-24-2004, 12:05 PM
digimassa;

I have tried two different thing with respect to focal length:

1) in LW I have changed the focal length: 1mm, 32mm , 50mm, 150mm;

2) in Director, using the 3DPI Xtra, I have changed the 'hither' and 'yon';

although neither of these worked I will keep toying with f.l.; after viewing the Shockwave with f.l. in mind it seems that the problem may be closely related;

thanks
Shannon Burnett
Asheville NC USA

digimassa
06-25-2004, 05:16 AM
:cool:

open "camera properties", set "aperture high" to "size 135" und change "zoom factor" to "lens focal lenght". So you get a setting similar to ordinary photo camera and here is the rule: lenght of 50 mm is "normal", shorter is distorting, the shorter the more.

and as I told you, place your pictures a little away from the walls