PDA

View Full Version : CG Over Video with Special Effects

harpert
06-22-2004, 10:28 AM
I tried to key an opening title over a video clip using a fade effect. I saved the title as a tga file in CG, placed the file in the storyboard next to the video clip with a fade, enabled overlay on the CG file, placed the CG file underneath the video clip in the timeline and adjusted the start and stop time. The text appeared and disappeared at the proper time, but it didn't fade in and out as I expected it would - the text keyed in and out instead. I tried other effects and they still didn't work - the text just keyed in and out as before. I'm not sure what I did wrong. I believe I inserted a fade before and after the CG file, but can't recall exactly at this time. Can anyone tell me what the technique is fade (or any other special effect) text in and out over a video clip? Thanks.

Tom H.

mgrusin
06-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Sounds like you're doing everything right, but here are a few things to try:

1. Once I screwed up my fade in and fade out bars (not sure how, maybe dragging fade in past fade out?). Try selecting your clip, opening Control Tree / Layer Fading (I think - not at machine right now), and setting the fade in and fade out to zero. Then you should be able to either reset the fades in those requesters, or manually drag them where you want.

2. FYI, in CG, if you just "save" or "save-as" your CG project, CG will automatically save a directory of .PNG files with alpha to the same directory (so you shouldn't need to manually save each page as .TGA unless you specifically need that). Try one of those .PNG files and see if it works better than your .TGA.

Hope something here helped, good luck! -MG.

bradl
06-22-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by harpert
I tried to key an opening title over a video clip using a fade effect... The text appeared and disappeared at the proper time, but it didn't fade in and out as I expected it would - the text keyed in and out instead... When you say 'fade' are you referring to something other than your key fading in over video? Not following your distinction. If you are wanting the background and key to fade as in fade to or from black that is a different story. If so, each element would have to be faded or black could be faded in or out over it. The latter is how I do it because no matter how many items you have stacked up they all fade to/from black. I created a FadeToBlack and a FadeFromBlack instance (VT[3 ]Data file) at the root of V drive for quick use.

Rich Deustachio
06-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Sounds like he might be trying to put DVEs on an overlay. You can't apply a DVE fade or other effect on an overlayed CG or video clip, I wish we could. To fade text on and off just position your mouse pointer at the beginning of the clip and when you see the fd appear, hold down your left mouse button and drag it over. Do the same for fade off but at the end of the clip. To fade on or off a specific time, open up the clip properties and set the fade times in there.

We really need the ability to apply warp effects to overlayed clip.

please please please please.

harpert
06-23-2004, 04:58 AM
Thanks all for the replies. I'm not at my PC right now, so I'll try to check out your recommendations when I get the chance. When I mentioned 'fade' text over video, I meant to have the text gradually fade in, show for a few seconds, and then gradually fade out - something I thought was simple to set up and do. What I ended up with was the text keyed in, displayed for the proper time, and then keyed out even though I used a fade (or a dissolve) effect. I took that effect out and still got the same result with the text keying in and out.

Tom

bradl
06-23-2004, 07:19 AM
harpert,

How you are using this makes a difference in the best way to set it up.

LIVE or Directly to Tape - First you need your CG to show up in the DSK. DDRs, Aura, LW, Mirage, CG Module, CG Player, etc. will all produce a 32-bit key-able CG. Load it through the DSK drop-down list. Now you can fade it by click 'Fade DSK' or using the keyboard shortcut 'f' while the switcher has the focus or the CAPS LOCK is on (forces switcher focus).

POST or Editing- Like Rich said, you use the fade handles on clips on the timeline or you can set the fade handles numerically in the Control Tree under Layer Fading, Fade In or Fade Out. That numeric setting can also be made in the F8 Edit Properties for each clip. You could also set up an Alpha fade using keyframes and splines to fade in or out as much as you want. You can also make or use a preset in the Tool Shed to do to multiple clips with one click.

harpert
06-23-2004, 08:50 AM
Brad,

Thanks for your input too. I'd like to keep it simple and set the fade handles numerically. I'll check yours and the others' suggestions out tonight.

Tom