PDA

View Full Version : Fox News Video Effects

Hiraghm
03-27-2003, 02:05 PM
I've started this new thread since the other thread about news coverage was so full of ad hominem and political opinions. This one should be about *just* the video effects. Other networks can be commented on too, of course, but since I mostly watch Fox, since Fox has the News Foxes, and since I'm starting this new thread, I'm gonna name it Fox News Video Effects. so nyaa :p

As I said in the other thread, I don't think Fox uses Lightwave for their 3D models or rendering. I think they're not bothering with textures or anti-aliasing in order to get the videos out in a timely fashion. And I think some of their effects may be interactive programs rather than just animations.

Opinions?

Hiraghm
03-27-2003, 02:11 PM
Oh yeah, I just sent an email to Fox news asking if there's some way for us to find out what tools/techniques they use for their digital effects. I included a link to this thread, so someone may drop in. That's why I'd rather we just stuck to the video effects topic in this thread.

Prosprctor
03-27-2003, 04:22 PM
OK then I will just copy other to here..
Too much to retype

Also they are doing spec sheets of the military equipment and showin that patriot missle thing over and over...
WHERE IS THE TEXTURING

They are just grey objects.

The smoke looks terrible when the tanks blow up.USE HVs!!!!
The explosions are just colored particles and then they go to black dots after little trails...USE HVs and USE DISSOLVE !!!!!!!

Jeesh...million dollar contracts, big studios and thats the best they get

I could do all thier graphics for 150,000 for the full year and get better stuff to them...

But that Lauri Dhue ohh-la-la

oops that's french

YEE HAA!!!!!

Hiraghm...

We ALL stand a chance...

Might be a snowballs chance in hell, but it IS still a chance

Stuff I seen isn't interactive, just little anims explaining how the patriot missles work, explaining the wares of the military.

I do think it's LW as the ground has that familiar crumple texture it the tank animation.

I would figure that Fox or CNN would have more than 1 guy doing the anims and quite a networking setup so I see anims being able to be made rather fast.

But if they use the money for animations to get more Fox foxes then that's fine too

Hefner...are you following this thread ???
WE want a FOX foxes pictorial !!!!!

Hiraghm
03-27-2003, 08:17 PM
CNN, I believe, was showing off the 3D models you can view of the various weapons and equipment used in the war on their website.

Maybe their 3D effects dept is a guy in a corner with a Pentium III and Blender. Or maybe they have a Toaster doing the effects, but the guy doing them is from the marketting department. Never can predict how big organizations like that are going to spend their money.

I'm still betting it's a time factor. Let me rephrase that.. a *perceived* time factor.

And I'm just going to mention Pattie Anne Brown again cause I ain't seen her on the air lately...

(why, yes... yes I am a Neanderthal... :D )

Meaty
03-27-2003, 10:08 PM
ya, they are definatly not using MTSI's expert military weaponry visualization capabilities... *cough* http://www.mtsi-va.com/mediasite/index.html *cough* :D okay okay, shameless promotion.

Prospector, apparently just becuase you dont want multiple undo's in layout doesnt mean you dont have good taste in women. I second that Lauri Dhue note. :cool: :cool: :D

Cheers

Prosprctor
03-28-2003, 09:01 AM
Maby we could use 1 undo here
maby her ingagement?

Nahhh, not even then would I like more UNDOs :D :D :D