PDA

View Full Version : Creating windows on a house

GabbiAngel
06-22-2004, 05:25 AM
I am having trouble creating windows in a house i am trying to model. I use the bolean tool and subtract, but the points go all funny (as you can see in the picture below) I then cannot bolean -subtract another window on the left side of this window ...any other way to make windows? I need 2 side by side....

http://www.geocities.com/gabbiangel2004/problem.txt

This shows my steps and the after effect.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Gabbi

BeeVee
06-22-2004, 06:07 AM
Have your points actually gone weird? Looks like a perfectly normal Boolean result to me. Topographically, a polygon has to be unpunctured. This means that there has to be a join to the outside edge of the polygon, a bit like when you do a stenical of a letter A or O.

B

MooseDog
06-22-2004, 09:11 AM
try this out, works for me w/o any nasty boolean nonsense. nothing but quads:) .

1.) create your wall.

2.) bevel each panel w/o any offset.

3.) w/Bridge tool you create window opening.

4.)smile all the way to the bank:D

good luck and have fun!

GabbiAngel
06-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Im using 7.5 and I cant see the Bridge tool? could you let me know where it is please?

Edit: I decided to try the knife tool and that worked. I just cut between the places i wanted the windows. Then I used the bolean tool and it worked out in the end (I dont know about rendering though...we'll see)

bloontz
06-22-2004, 09:57 AM
That is new to LW8 but I think the PolySew plugin available on flay.com may do the same thing?

MooseDog
06-22-2004, 11:21 AM
the other option is to model my demonstrated form oneself:D the plugins mentioned here only automate something that is entirely doable by hand modelling. go forth and learn:cool:

digimassa
06-22-2004, 01:06 PM
:cool:
Gabbi, do it similar to the ideas of MooseDog, but start with a single polygon, bevel with "shift 0", "inset" what you like, delete the inner poly and extrude.^^

John Fornasar
06-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Booleans work fine. You should work on them now (the other methods above will work, but if you ever have to cut out windows on an weirdly shaped alien space ship, you'll be glad you can boolean.
One real easy rule - you have to be using solids.
You want to think about what you need to do before you start. It's easier to cut all your openings at once.

I'll assume from looking at your pics that you want some depth to the walls.

Create your solid shape for the house.
Copy to another layer, Size the copy down, and do a boolean subtract to "open" up some interior living space.

Create your first window "cutter", then do an Array to get your other windows on the same side of the building. You can mirror these to the other wall, or do a copy, move paste to get them there. Put your door cutters in place.

Do your Boolean Subtract - all your window and door openings will be cut in one shot.

digimassa
06-23-2004, 02:43 AM

if you want to keep your mesh clean dont use Boolean, they are just "quick and dirty"^^

GabbiAngel
06-23-2004, 05:24 AM
Well, my walls on the outside are 1 foot thick, so I can have proper looking sills and window frames. I figured out how to do it by using the knife tool to split the wall and then bolean-subtract . I have to admit Im a total n00bie, so i dont totally understand everything posted :( but I will learn.

Here's a bit of what Ive done anyways... If I ever finish I'll post it.. thanks for the help and suggestions.

digimassa
06-23-2004, 06:31 AM

GabbiAngel, all of use learned by doing, so do and you will learn;
what Ive learned is, first think it over and after that start modelling something.

If I were to modell a building with windows I would do it in the way I told above,

start with single polygon with no depht,
bevell inset,
adjust and delete the inner polygon
extrude the whole thing

and you get a single wall element with window.

Build your house like they often build in real life, make some boxes or something for the corners, others for the bottoms and place the elements in between. say you create e.g. 3 types of elements, one with big window, one with small and one without.

The advantage of this modular set is that you can do changes very easy as you cannot, if you first build the whole house and work with knife or something.

So its allways a good idea in 3D first to think about all possible aspects of a project before starting work in LW.

Beside this, its very important to keep your mesh clean from beginning and with booleans you create a lot of terrible points and polygons without controll, and later in your project you have to waste a long time to find and repair this dirt.

andromeda_girl
06-23-2004, 10:25 PM
Ok, nice advice coming out in this post, but what if you have an organic shaped wall and need top punch windows through it?
as in a subpatch object that has been set to freeze creating a nice polygonal model with smoothing on.

with smoothing off, the solid drill tool does nice sweet work but with smoothing on, eesh! edges go wonky and look warped.

how would one get around that?

- sorry fro craching your post GabbiAngel, just trying to get some of these smart guys to keep the flow going here- please don't hate me.

i haven't done modeling in 2 years and am getting back into it for a small project, and so this problem has me stumped :P

digimassa
06-24-2004, 03:29 AM

First of all, "smooth" is just a property of surface and doesnt influence the mesh. Some problems with "smooth" you can solve tweaking the smoothing angel.

I dont know your "organic wall", but I would try to create windows by deleting some polygons and creating new one in between from one side to the other. You can select only a few polys around the area where you want the window to be placed and "hide unselect" ("=" ) , so you stay with a "thing" you can handle easily; watch it from all sides and you will find what polygons to delete and from what points new polys have to be created by hand or even easier in 8 using bridge tool.

Here is the same as above, the more you think before doing something the less problems you have later, so creating the windows in an early stage is much easier than fiddling around with a complicated mesh. Here in my country is a word, freely translated:
"
"What you dont have in your head, you have to have in your legs"

If you want to do 3D work remember two important points
( beside many others^^):

1. Dont start working before you now your next steps, make drawings if necessary, they are only for your personal use, so dont shame if they are not this artpieces, important is only, you see from them what is important for your project, you see your target. Think over how to reach this target, what are the steps in your workflow; save your object after every step as another object ( or layer), so you can step back from "ways to nowhere"

2. Dont be afraid of hard and maybe boring work, mostly 3D isnt just hitting some hotkeys ore using a cool plugin but sitting hours and hours adding points and creating polys from them,
e.g. in my current project I had to modell a landscape that really exists. So what?
"Easy" way: create a displacment map from an exact boy-scoutsmap and displace,
"Sweaty" way: put the map into BG in modeller and add points along the lines indicating same elevation and create polygons, one by one.^^
To keep controll I created this 15.000 or more polys by hand, but afterthat the mesh was how I wanted it to be, e.g triangles: you often run into problems with nonplanar polys, just trippling them isnt a solution as they allways tend to be created the wrong side (maybe according to Murphy"), so creating all polys one by one shows me where triangles are necessary and I create them the proper way; this what I name "have controll over mesh". Beside this I could place huge polygons in plan parts and smaller one in steeper ones.

This is the problem with Booleans, they create terrible polygons, sometimes so tiny, you dont see them, but they screw your mesh up.

"+" "rightmouseclick" "rightmouseclick" "rightmouseclick" "rightmouseclick" "p" ^^

GabbiAngel
06-24-2004, 10:11 AM
I dont mind andromeda_girl :P anything to do with making holes in walls will help me anyways :)

GabbiAngel
06-24-2004, 10:36 AM
digimassa Im doing it the "sweaty way" as you say.. Ive got a floorplan with measurements and everything.. so I have that in my background to help .. here's what Ive got so far (I havent started the top floor but I have it in place.. and the lighting is just there to light up the place.. havent done it properly yet)

andromeda_girl
06-24-2004, 11:27 AM
i appreciate the tip digimassa, but i think i am still a bit lost.

creating a new post where i will add images.

~A.

Exception
04-09-2006, 10:34 PM
I do it differently.

I draw the windows in a background layer with the box tool, just flat.
Then I stencil drill them on the surface, making the material the windowframe material. Then I select those two stencilled polygons and bevel them in and back a few times to make nice mullions and frames. then when the two planes are really close make them glass, copy, bevel them exactly on top of each other, delete them, merge polys, then delete them.
This by far I find gives a lot of control and a very very neat mesh. Has never disappointed me yet. Works on hundreds of windows at once, as long as the wall thickness is uniform.

zardoz
04-10-2006, 02:44 AM
the method explained by exception is the one I use most, but the booleans also work well, with no problems...

Reading this thread I can't find anyone saying this but after one boolean you have to merge points, because if you check, after one boolean the points aren't merged. So you have to merge them to be able to make another boolean. And if you are making a boolean in a complex polygon (with several holes for example) sometimes you have to 'knife' that poly trying to simplify it to be able to make another boolean...this happens in almost every 3d software...booleans can be tricky.