PDA

View Full Version : "LightWave 8 Killler Tips" Book

jevinstudios
06-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Another must-have book for all you Wavers out there: "LightWave 8 Killer Tips", by Ablan & Sharp. Can get it on amazon.com for $27.99. A VERY cool book!!

zecryan
06-22-2004, 04:17 AM
should be more like lightwave killer tip and a few fpr lightwave 8 becuase the book's tips are mostly for lightwave 7.5 and down, not alot of them for 8 only. I think the Lightwave Tips And Tricks is much more worth the money but Lightwave 8 killer tips is not that bad of a book.

colkai
06-22-2004, 05:15 AM
I found that I knew quite a lot of them already, but then, I've had LW for a while. (In fact, I should be a darn sight better at using it, if I had the time to use it that is :p ).
Plenty to learn from though, there were some gems I just wouldn't have 'clicked' about, then agian, that's why they call 'em tricks I guess.
Still got to finish reading it so I'm sure there will be plenty more for me to pick up on. (Too many books to read at the moment, heh heh).
This book is especially useful for folks just getting LW as it cuts out a heck of a lot of time it normally takes to discover these tricks.
Like I say, I know many, but how long it took me to find those shortcuts and the time I lost in learning LW because I didn't know them is another matter! :D

theo
06-22-2004, 01:23 PM
Killer Tips is a good book but not the best one going right now.

colkai
06-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Right now, as far as LW books are concerned, it's a bit like being a kid in a candy store! :D :D :D

reverie
06-24-2004, 09:18 PM
Kid in a candy store -- that's the truth. :) I love having all these LW books to read -- that's one reason I switched from C4D. Only one reason... :)

As far as the aforementioned books go -- I really like both Killer Tips and 1001 T/T. Killer Tips improves with each read, and I keep it by the computer to grab at opportune moments. And the format of Killer Tips is so nice -- colorful, moves quickly like a rapid mountain stream, and I even like the humor that some people have knocked. It's not your run of the mill book, but who wants the same thing ALL the time?

1001 T/T is a gold mine, of course -- but if I was any newer to LW, it'd be a bit intimidating, like LW Applied is intimidating. However (and I've only read like 100 tips), it's probably a book that will challenge, inspire and educate me for a couple of years to come. Looks like I'll get my money's worth in terms of words per dollar, too.

I guess 1001 T/T might be compared to Tom Clancy's fact-filled books while Killer Tips is more like James Patterson's quick-paced thrillers. :D Each is going to appeal to a different group of readers. I find it hard to classify books as good/bad unless they have obvious errors and glaring misinformation. The book which I think is the absolute best would be the one that bores another LW user to tears. It all just comes down to a matter of taste and which book is right for which user at certain points of their 3D journey. :)