PDA

View Full Version : Slow polygon creation

blueagave
06-20-2004, 05:38 PM
I've been working with LW 8 and polygon creation from points is realy, realy slow. For instance, if I create 4 points and hit 'p' to create a polygon, it takes about a second to create a single polygon.

Has anyone else noticed this? I didn't find anything through a search.

I just fired up 7.5, and the same operation is instantaneous, so I'm inclined to think it is an 8 issue.

FYI, I'm using 10.3.4 on a dual 2 Ghz G5 with a Radeon 9600 and 1G RAM - doesn't seem likely to be an issue of lacking the hardware to create a polygon. I haven't noticed any other operations that are this slow either.

Any thoughts - is it a bug, or is something hosed on my system?

toby
06-20-2004, 06:32 PM
It's normal for me, my system is the same as yours except my OS is 10.3.3. Just tried 7.5 too and it's slower than [8]. There are some OpenGL differences between 7.5 & 8, and 10.3.3 & 10.3.4 ~

btw, 1. how is 10.3.4 compared to 10.3.3 on the G5?
2. Ramjet.com just dropped their price of 2gb kits to $500.00! Meets or exceeds apple specs.

blueagave
06-20-2004, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the info. I need to dig around to figure out what is causing this. I might have to try to go back to 10.3.3 if I don't hear from anyone else pro or con.

I mostly went to 10.3.4 for the security fixes. The few specific OpenGL issues I had been looking for did not change for better or worse. With the possible exception of this polygon issue, I have no reason not to recommend 10.3.4 - it is working good for me.

Good tip on the RAM, that's a nice price. My box could use the boost if I had the funds.

toby
06-20-2004, 10:42 PM
that's too bad, 10.3.4 was apparently a big deal for powerbooks, huge increase in OpenGL speed.

My machine still only has 512 ram! It really drags it's feet sometimes! I'm going back to work soon though, it's the next purchase ~

Julian Johnson
06-21-2004, 12:09 AM
I think that the 'p' command in 8 has been mapped to the Ikeda 'Make Poly' tool which Newtek purchased instead of the old 'Make Polygon' in 7.x. 'Make Poly' is under the Modeler Tools in Keyboard Shortcuts whereas 'Make Polygon' is under the Create section. Because the new tool works with subpatches and can place a poly on non consecutively-selected points and selected open edges it probably takes longer to calculate. I'd try switching back to the old one to see if that's it.

- Julian

blueagave
06-21-2004, 06:56 AM
Julian - Thank you. That would be the problem.

The original Make Polygon wasn't anywhere in my menus or shortcuts. I don't recall changing it, but in any case I had both 'p' and the Create/Polygons/Make Polygon pointing to the new 'Make Poly'.

turbo
06-21-2004, 10:17 AM
wow.. it (making polys from points in version 8) is instanstaneous on my DP G5.. but then i have 2.5 GIGs of RAM ... :p

blueagave
06-25-2004, 09:40 PM
Interesting update...

A rare occasion to reboot finally occurred, and using the new 'Make Poly' is much faster now. However, it is still noticeably slower than the basic Make Polygon. I don't know what was giving it so much heartburn before - nothing else, other apps or other plugins, had any issues - but that particular plugin wasn't happy.

Personally, I'm remapping my menus and keys back to the classic. Although I have respect for his other tools, I have to pass on this one.