PDA

View Full Version : Resolution loss or equal

Peter Palesh
03-27-2003, 12:06 PM
One of the cameras I use is a Canon XL1. According to the specs it gives approx 525 lines of resolution.

I usually dump video from the camera to the Toaster using the s-video connection and that works well for me.

My question is --> Would I loose any resolution if I dump video through a firewire connection?

johnnylandrover
03-27-2003, 03:35 PM
Firewire will be an exact duplicate of the original DV tape. S Video is fine but you will lose at least 15 to 20%. Remember that Dv is a component recording and tranfering any less than that is not a smart thing if your trying to get every spec out of your camera. Best case for analog is component I/O instead of S Video which is more consumer based.
Cameras that state lines of resolution is based on the camera and lens only not the format it's being recorded to. Sony's 500 DVcam camera has 800 lines of resolution but Dvcam tape records only 550ish lines. Why wouldn't Sony build a camera with 550 lines to match the recorder??, So they can saturate the tape with more info than it can record to make sure every spec of tape is used.

Hope that helps,

Johnny

Peter Palesh
03-27-2003, 04:40 PM
Yes that helps...thank you.