PDA

View Full Version : Point Release Please!

Chris S. (Fez)
06-20-2004, 05:46 AM
Any news? How about emailing me the latest morphmixer.p build? Morphmixer bugs are seriously screwing with my workflow.

TyVole
06-20-2004, 06:07 AM
Have you tried installing the 7.5 plugin in 8 and seeing if it works?

Robi
06-20-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Chris S. (Fez)
Any news? How about emailing me the latest morphmixer.p build? Morphmixer bugs are seriously screwing with my workflow. I too hate the morphmixer bugs :mad:
Where is the morphmixer.p?
Cant find it, Im not shure if its a plugin.

CB_3D
06-20-2004, 09:16 AM
Could you describe the bugs? Or point me to a thread that does?

Thx

Lynx3d
06-20-2004, 09:31 AM
There was a small discussion about Morph Mixer on the SDK group.
The new Morph Mixer is according to David Mathews a "regular" plugin, but i guess it resides in one of the standard LW-Dlls that's why it is not in th plugin list.
Arnie Cachelin said that the old Morph Mixer used some LW internal routines for the UI that were not accessible via the SDK, so i guess there is no way to get it working in LW8 (don't know if it is a .p file in 7.5, haven't installed it currently, but i don't think it is)

Chris S. (Fez)
06-20-2004, 09:40 AM
Just checked. I don't think there is a morphmixer.p in 7.5.

Robi
06-21-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by CB_3D
Could you describe the bugs? Or point me to a thread that does?

Thx
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24364

papou
06-21-2004, 08:36 AM
no news, bad news.

Chris S. (Fez)
06-26-2004, 07:48 AM
I suppose one benefit of psuedo-shipping software is that you don't have to support it. It is almost July. What is going on? Are you saving the official release for Siggraph?

UnCommonGrafx
06-26-2004, 08:07 AM
It ain't broke, though. Seems like this has been the way since morphmixers beginning. It's documented in the 1001 Tips and Tricks book.

Chris S. (Fez)
06-26-2004, 09:24 AM
Sorry, I don't have 1001 tipsntricks handy. What exactly is documented?

In my experience, something definitely did break in between 7.5 and 8.

In Lightwave 7.5 I could easily animate or pose with proxies and swap in higher rez models. It was never a problem as long as the objects shared the same endomorphs. This workflow no longer works in 8...because of the new morphmixer.

In 7.5 I could easily apply the "save endomorph" command to multi-layer objects in Layout, tweak the morph in modeler and then reapply the tweaked morph to the separate objects in Layout. Not in 8...because of morphmixer.

UnCommonGrafx
06-26-2004, 10:05 AM
No disagreement with on this -- it worked like that as I remember it, too. But that's not to say it was supposed to or that it was right. :D Sometimes a 'bug' can go the other way and provide features, too.
Multi-layered endos is what is documented and apparently for some, what worked for you and I was a known limitation to others. When I read it I disagreed, too. But then I remember times when it wasn't all smooth...

So, with the caveat of putting it in the first layer not working, going back to 7.5c would be a choice.

There are tools for fixing this, i.e., everything to the first layer, such that this should be a trivial fix for most situations.

Having said that, I'd also like them to get it back to multi-layer functionality. But the way it is now is by no means a show stopper nor reason to lambaste their efforts.

toonafish
06-26-2004, 10:07 AM
I noticed that if you save an endomorph in Layout, Morph Mixer will see it directly if you delete the morph mixer plugin and apply a new one. The funny thing is, it will copy all your old keyframes to the new MorphMixer instance so nothing gets lost.

Would be nice if it would see the morph right away, but in fact I like this better then Morph Mixer in 7.5, because I had to save and reload the object for it to see the new endomorph.

Chris S. (Fez)
06-26-2004, 11:02 AM
"everything to the first layer, such that this should be a trivial fix for most situations."

I can only speak for myself. The changes in workflow are not "trivial" to me. As for lambasting their efforts...why would they ship us software that they seem to feel is not ready to be officially released? Again, what is going on? It just seems like Newtek is slipping into the void again and, frankly, I am sick of the silence.

meatycheesyboy
06-27-2004, 12:44 AM
I'm only guessing here but here is my guess at the situation.

Newtek was very far off from an actual finished version of 8 but pressure was mounting on all sides for a release, so they gave out what amounts to beta software to those who preordered just to placate people while they finished up the actual software.

Again, this is only my guess, it could be far off from the truth.

Signal to Noise
06-27-2004, 01:40 AM
Good guess. meatycheesyboy! :)

I'm pretty sure those who've received [8] are indeed pseudo-beta testers. NewTek have started sending surveys out to [8] users asking for feedback about the current upgrade. I received my survey a couple of weeks ago. NewTek mention that there may be additional surveys in the near future. I am certain they will be using the feedback as part of ironing out the "official" [8] release application or an [8.1] update.

There are numerous bugs and hopefully all well be operational soon. There were even bugs in 7.5 that still haven't been fixed for [8]. The best thing we can do as a user community is keep listing them here in the forums and send emails to NT Customer Support. Also, if things are kept in a positive manner (i.e. no griping, flaming, etc.) then I'm sure NewTek will be more accommodating in providing fixes and/or explanations why such-and-such isn't fixed.

And yes, like other forum speculation, SIGGRAPH will be the launch pad for the 'real' [8].