PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting to v8 renderer

Drakaran
06-19-2004, 07:51 PM
is there any docs to help those of us used to LW 7.5 and earlier find stuff in the v8 renderer. I feel totally lost like I'm learning the dern thing all over again.

Thanks

Phil
06-21-2004, 02:35 PM
In Layout and Modeler, you can reset the menu layouts to the older 7.5 style, but it might be worthwhile just investing some time in building your own menu structure for your most common tools on a new tab.

It is slightly annoying to have to keep doing this with each new release, but once you have it semi-useful, you can at least save the layout off to disk for later re-use.

For those tools that you cannot find, hunt them down using a combination of the 'edit plugins' and 'edit menu layout' dialogs to find out where they are hiding.

Drakaran
06-22-2004, 08:26 AM
what I used to do when I upgraded to 7.0 (and then 7.5) was set the 7.5 menu temperarily to 6.5 so I could find the button I was looking for and then reset back to the new menu and do a search, but it took a LONG time, and I had a hard time learning the new features in 7.5 until I had gotten adjusted.

NewTek had a good menu in 7.5, I don't understand why they felt they needed to change it. I could see maybe ADDING a new menu or two, but not reformat the whole bloody thing. Also, I don't seem to be finding a bunch of old tools, so, it's not like they just moved em, I'm going to have to create the buttons or something.

Phil
06-23-2004, 05:14 AM
I get the impression that it's a side effect of not requiring a plugin to declare its type (e.g. geometry creator, modifier, etc.) so that it is impossible to classify plugins and stick them into something more intelligent than a huge 'additional' bin.

I gave up on learning NT's changing menu structures shortly after getting 7.0 and instead spent a significant period of time trying to get a decent menu layout.

In the end, I added a plugins tab with drop down menus for separating plugins by name (A-D, E-H, etc.) in both Modeler and Layout. I added a bunch of stuff to the top group listings as well, for ease of access. The alternative is to sort them by function. It's a fool's mission to try and improve the default tabs because you can at least just drop your new tab into any new menu structure they include with updated releases.

One hopes that with any future rewrite, they acknowledge this flaw, but then again there are many more significant areas that need addressing - renderer, SDK, etc. so we will have to wait and see.