PDA

View Full Version : Golf ball tutorial

grafikimon
06-18-2004, 05:50 PM
Was reading a Max tutorial and decided to figure it out for lightwave.

I decided to make a tutorial out of the process.

tokyo drifter
06-18-2004, 06:17 PM
holy crap! you're my hero!

I tried making a golf ball before and I could never get it looking right. Thanks for the tut, brilliant, I'll need to try it out when I get home tonight.

bloontz
06-18-2004, 06:20 PM
Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

object
06-18-2004, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the lesson, this is totally new to me.

grafikimon
06-19-2004, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Glad its useful to someone

:)

riki
06-19-2004, 02:24 AM
Sweet nice one

dzogchen
06-19-2004, 02:42 AM
Thanks for the tutorial.

Librarian
06-19-2004, 03:02 AM
I can`t find the spherize command.
Uh, found it in Legacy_Plugins, but it wasn`t added.

grafikimon
06-19-2004, 03:01 PM
hit the w key to bring up the statistic panel. in point mode look on the list it has a 1 poly, 2poly etc up to >4 poly. if you click the plus next to the > 4 poly you will get the center of each hole. hit shift+' to invert the selection. when you hit edge bevel it will split the edges of all the holes.

Sorry about that didn't realise spherize was a legacy plugin. I must of loaded it a while back for another tutorial.

if anyone else has any problems following it let me know so I can do a better version.

There is a way to skip half the tutorial I've discovered since writing it.

Make a tessalated ball but set it to 5 or 6. from there you can start at the Rounder and continue on.

Fausto
06-20-2004, 06:55 AM
Great tutorial, just one question, what Rounder settings are you using?

grafikimon
06-20-2004, 11:43 AM
i made the sphere 1 meter.

most of the setting are just default.

I set rounder to 5cm and set it to points.

edge bevel is default. I just click one to make it bevel then go on to the next tool.

The tools always seem to work better at about a meter or two than in really small sizes so I just work bnit then use abolute size to shrink it own to actual size if needed.

ned
06-21-2004, 04:43 AM
I thought this looked very cool but got totally lost when I tried it.

My freeze (step 6) has a lot more geometry than yours
Rounder: what is this? LW8?
Size to make all hexagons (I don't understand this)
And when you invert selection later, what selection?

Sorry really dense this morning.

grafikimon
06-21-2004, 06:32 AM
Lets try this again as a list of instructions.

1. You need lightwave 8 to do this because you need Rounder and Edge bevel plugins to follow these steps. If you happen to have these plugins for 7.5 than you can make your way through.

Load the legacy plugins (lightwave[8]/legacy plugins):

Spherize
Metaform plus

Okay now you are ready to follow the rest of the steps.

Start by pressing Shift+o (ball create tool) and just clicking once at 0,0,0 (center of the grid)
Hit N to bring up the numeric panel.
Set it to tesselate and change segments to 6.
Center is 0,0,0
radius is 1m,1m,1m

Activate Rounder (Multiply tab) and click and drag in the screen. You should still have the numeric panel open. When you drag it will probably make a mess. Thats fine just put in the following settings:

Round only: Points
Rounding polys 1
Inset distance 70mm
rest is let alone.

hit return until the tool is accepted (the numeri panel will go blank when this happens)

Load and use metaform plus tool.

The interface is a total mess, but when you move your mouse over to where the okay button is hidden under the text it will pop into view. Don't change any settings just click ok.

Press w to bring up the statistics panel. hit the space bar until you go into point mode. Now on the statistics panel there is a list of polygons. This tells you how many points are connected to:

0 polys (these are orphin points which is not important for this tutorial but are usually left over points when merge poly is used)

1 poly (points connected to 1 poly)
2 poly (you get the idea. these points are connected to 2 polys)

if you look on the bottom you'll see

>4 polys (this is points with more than 4 polys) click the plus next to this one.

If you look at your mesh you'll see that what metaform plus did was turn everything into quads. In the process you'll notice that it made these nice star patterns everywhere. The center is what we want to use as the divits in the surface of the ball. So go get them there was two choices. go in by hand OR find a way to detect those centers. Well the easiest way to detect them is the statistics panel because thay all conveniently have 5-6 polys connecting to them.

Now if the mesh has become lopsided or otherwise distorted run the spherize command on it to clean it up.

So once you have these points selected press Shift+h (size tool) and size them down to about 90%

hit return to finish.

Now we have the divits and if you smoothed it now it would look okay but we could make it look a little better by adding some thickness to it.

Invert the selection (shift+') this will select all the edges. Then click the edge bevel tool (on the modify tab) set move to 10mm (the default on mine is 11.0657 which is fine)

Now deselect everything and press TAB key and your done.

When I get in to work today I'll upload a new movie. The subpatch on everyones system is different (mine is set to 2) but other people may not have changed the default from 3, which is probably why you got such odd results.

GruvSyco
06-25-2004, 11:27 AM
*edited post with modified process*

Here is my golf ball process. No legacy plugins or LW8 specific features (although the menu descriptions are from 8).

1. Create > Ball (Shift-o): Tessallation > Segments = 6
2. Multiply > Subdivide (Shift-d) > Metaform
3. Multiply > Subdivide (Shift-d) > Metaform
4. Statistics (w): >4
5. View > Expand (})
6. Modify > Size (Shift-h): Size down a little.
7. View > Contract ({)
8. Modify > Size (Shift-h): Size down a little.
9. Turn on Sub-patch mode Tab
10. Apply surface

claymation
06-25-2004, 01:43 PM
wow that's great.

thanks. Glad there is an easier way to do this

nerdyguy227
06-26-2004, 08:41 PM
Thank you very much. A nice gift to all of us!