PDA

View Full Version : DVX100 footage

Swami Rabbitima
03-27-2003, 09:20 AM
Hey there!

I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas about how to do this:

I'm sure some of the posters here are familiar with the Panasonic AG-DVX100 camera; it's got this nifty video shooting mode that essentially makes "film-like" video that can be edited normally with any non-linear editor with a "2:3" pulldown process.

I saw some footage shot with the camera and I loved it. But here's my question: how would I render an animation to this format? It's not quite 24 frames/sec. It's not really 30 FPS. If anything, it's the reverse of the "3:2" process that is used to transfer film to video (as least I think so; I'm very confused right now...)

Anybody wiser than me willing to help me? And should I post this on the "feature request" forum?

hrgiger
03-27-2003, 09:42 AM
I believe if you have a video editor like Adobe Premiere that you can set the fps to whatever you want it to be.

Swami Rabbitima
03-28-2003, 02:14 PM
Yes, yes you can set fps in your projects in Premiere...but that might not help me.

You see, motion blur (or vector blur for that matter) is going to be figured out using a straight frame rate (either 24 fps or 30 fps in order to make the footage match with either frame rate. But this camera doesn't do this-it does the 3:2 pulldown thingie making the video look like it was shot with a film camera. One can also interpret footage in After Effects to (as fas as I know) either of these frame rates, but not to this particular flavor of video. So how would I work it?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

kishigo
03-29-2003, 11:55 AM
Actually, I've done this before, but never tried to match footage shot from a DVX100. You can render your animation at 24 fps. Then, using After Effects, render it out again at 29.97 fps. You might have to experiment with the phase selection in After Effects to match the footage shot with the DVX100, but it will work.

Incidently, the DVX100 performs a real 3:2 pulldown, not a reverse pulldown. Its 24p mode captures video at 23.976 fps, then performs the pulldown to achieve the 29.97 fps necessary for NTSC display.

Swami Rabbitima
03-30-2003, 10:09 AM
I see. Thanks!

Epita
03-30-2003, 11:35 AM
wow, that was very helpfull, although i read it to fast, and now my head is spinning.

Epita