PDA

View Full Version : On-line golf game ( Lightwave graphics/flash coding )

MikeMD
06-18-2004, 11:19 AM
Hi guys,

I rarely post here, but my partner just finished ( more or less )
an on-line ( flash ) golf game. Graphics were done in Lightwave.

Let me know what you think and whether you find the game instructions/gameplay easy enough.

http://www.deusx.com/golf

Regards

Terrificfool
06-18-2004, 11:30 AM
That's pretty neat, how did you all go about doing that?

MikeMD
06-18-2004, 03:40 PM
Thanks,

Well, model the course and the golfer, then animate in Lightwave.
Import into flash where you need to do all of the scripting and put the whole thing together. For file size/download time purposes the number of frames has to be limited, but I think it worked out well for this game.

Too much going on Flash wise to really get into it, especially if you aren't familiar with Flash actionscript. Since this is not Shockwave ( Director ) 3D is not real, but there is much less cpu hogging and you can have nicer graphics which will play without problems on any machine bought within the last 5-6 years.

Skunk
06-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Pretty good. If you want criticism or are going to change/update it, here are some things to think about:

on the subject of water penalties, i think you can place it anywhere in a straight line path from where you hit it do where it last touched land / went in the water.
(i.e. when you hit the bridge, and it bounces forward and then into the water, you should be able to place it on the bridge

How much does the slope of the green reall matter when you're putting in this game???

Also, to make the game a lot easier. don't go by feel, go by the numbers ;), they tell you what to do.

Very nice job overall,
SKUNK

MikeMD
06-18-2004, 04:22 PM
I had the same idea about hole 8.

Either put it on the bridge after the penalty, or at least not giving penalties, but just keep you trying from the tee.

I'm sure a lot of people will be way over par on that hole.

Slope does matter, but not that much, just enough to give you occasional problems. We tried to keep it easy so anybody could finish 9 holes a few strokes under par with very little practice, while still having enough leeway/room for improvement for good players to be able to finish 5-10 strokes under par.

All these things are easily adjusted if necessary. Most our sports games are usually hard, so tried to make this one easier.

IgnusFast
06-18-2004, 08:59 PM
That is absolutely kick-***!!!!

sidetrak
06-18-2004, 09:54 PM
Im not sure if this really matters cos it probably wont get changed of its post production, but the loading time was not really long at all (even on my 56k ) so the little things like, the stroke of the golfer being too quick and not really having many frames, could be improved without people complaining much about the loading times. not sure if thats really any help but its all i could really think of, i liked the game :D

MikeMD
06-18-2004, 10:16 PM
the loading time was not really long at all

Really?, That's good to hear, although I assumed for most 56k users it would be long. Game loads the first 3 holes and then loads the rest as you play, so it's not as long as it could be. Most of the time, if your connection doesn't stall, it seems to go smoothly after that initial download, without people ever having to wait again.

I guess we could add a few frames, but we are already on to a couple of different games. The most likely change with this golf game will be additional holes to play on ( unless, of course we get a client who wants it customized/branded, and so on ).

Thanks for your input ( and compliments ).

synist
06-20-2004, 04:34 AM
That's a really good game you got there.
I only meant to have a quick look and it kept me there.

I would like to see it a bit larger on my monitor without having to lower the screen resolution, as it gets difficult to see whats going on when the putting gets close to the hole.

Maybe it would be better if the camera were closer to the player when putting.

It is a little difficult to guess distances when trying to place a shot between bunkers or over water features.

Thanks for sharing your work with us

adrian
06-20-2004, 07:02 AM
I'm not really into golf but I still must have played this game for a good 15 minutes!

I like the animation of the player. I can't even imagine going about coding something like this....

How about an old-fashioned space invaders game (but with better graphics than the original)?

Awesome work.

Adrian.

kuik2c
06-21-2004, 12:52 AM
Thanks Mike MD. it's very nice game and the 3d scenes are good!!!

BTW, I got total 37 strokes after 3rd time playing it :p

hazmat777
06-21-2004, 02:48 AM
Very Cool!

The swing meter is a little fast imo.

On the second hole, I accidentally did some damage to one of the birds that fly through the scenes. Surprisingly realistic.

:p

MikeMD
06-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Thank you everybody for trying it out and all of the compliments and suggestions.

We did a quick change as Skunk suggested, so now you won't be forever stuck on holes 7 and 8 despite landing in the water if at least you hit it far enough. You will just get a penalty stroke and can continue from the bridge or that little island on hole 7.

Yes, you can hit birds . Hopefully you won't try to do it on purpose now that you know :-).

How about an old-fashioned space invaders game (but with better graphics than the original)?

There is a space shooter in development. Demo was supposed to be on line early June, but you know how it goes, things get delayed for different reasons. It's not space inviders clone, but one of those where you fly around in a top down view and things come at you from the top of the screen.

baffero
06-22-2004, 04:18 PM
lol

I hit a bird after an hour of playing, i heard a sqeeck but I didnt see it falling from the sky. what actually happens with the bird when youve hit it?

btw: the game looks great;)

MikeMD
06-23-2004, 10:01 AM
It doesn't fall to the ground. Just falls apart in the air, a few pieces and some blood.

object
06-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Love the game, easy to play. I hit the bird, but it looked like it just disappeared.

MikeMD
06-30-2004, 10:03 AM
Thanks!

You should be able to see a quick splat in the air. It definitely doesn't just disappear. So is anybody consistently scoring under par?

lesterfoster
07-03-2004, 09:12 AM
good game. worked good for me. But I could not hit the bird:)

MikeMD
07-03-2004, 05:59 PM
I can smell a game within a game here.

Wouldn't take long to convince my partner to add a practice mode where you basically just try to hit birds.