PDA

View Full Version : THE Lightwave Bible

theo
06-18-2004, 06:05 AM
I hereby proclaim Lightwave 3D [8] 1001 Tips and Tricks by Wordware Publishing to be THE bible of Lightwave training media.

This tome is PACKED with valuable and concise information on every subject within the Lightwave sphere.

As we all know we in the Lightwave community are blessed with outstanding educators but this book is special in the respect that it combines the knowledge of many educators under one cover.

If you do not own this book- BUT IT NOW!!! Your library WILL be deficient without this tome. As a matter of fact EVERY single guy/gal who owns Lightwave should automatically assume that this is the first book to buy (sorry Dan and Tim).

It will enlighten all levels of ability with new wisdom- with the exception of the very advanced already (and these guys are the ones writing the book). I would say my skills fit just a tad under advanced and I still found the book to be just outstanding.

bloontz
06-18-2004, 06:19 AM
Agreed, definately surpassed my expectations.

JML
06-18-2004, 07:04 AM
great book

Signal to Noise
06-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Wow! I can't wait for my copy to show up then!:D

jevinstudios
06-18-2004, 10:59 AM
Got mine last night and can't put it down.....

Signal to Noise
06-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by jevinstudios
Got mine last night and can't put it down.....

Oh? Was the cover slathered with Krazy Glue? ;)

jevinstudios
06-18-2004, 11:20 AM
You crack me up, Dude! Thanks for the great laugh....

badllarma
06-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Cool just ordered it myself any thing that really stand out guys?

Mine won't be here for a couple of days because of the weekend
:(

theo
06-18-2004, 12:07 PM
One of the main stand-outs is the sheer volume of information and the fact that it is organized to be easily accessed.

The format forces a concise approach from the contributors which means that there is very little fluff in the book.

Just a plain all-around solid contendor. It almost has a manual approach to me which means it will reside right here left of the second LCD for a while to come.

lwaddict
06-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Has it been shipped to Barnes and Nobles yet?

I'm going there tommorrow AM to get away and
it'd be nice if it's been shipped there already...
(oh hell, lazy me, I'll call em up and check right now)

crogbert
06-18-2004, 01:16 PM
How much of the material is still relevant to ver. 7.5?

I was wondering the same thing for Leigh's texturing book (not to change the subject or anything).

theo
06-18-2004, 01:21 PM
A huge amount.

Buy the book and don't worry you'll be pleased.

UnCommonGrafx
06-18-2004, 04:45 PM
It's a strong buy.

This is the book the pros wish was out as they were coming up... Now, they've shared that passion with us.

I'm not trying to read it as much as absorm it.

theo
06-18-2004, 04:56 PM
well- I would love to be able to "absorm" the book as well-- problem is I have no idea what "absorm" is.:D

UnCommonGrafx
06-18-2004, 05:24 PM
That whole thing was typed in terrible haste...:rolleyes:

You know what it is, Brad... That's when your kid hears a curse word, having 'absorm'ed it he shares it with you!!

hehe

absorb ... and the other mistake is:
wish was out WHEN they were coming up...

Jeesh.... gotta hurry to get ready for a jawb.

Signal to Noise
06-18-2004, 05:25 PM
"Absorm" is a term used by advanced LightWave users/ book readers. Takes weeks or even months to master and is quite kinky.

:p

policarpo
06-18-2004, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the kind words gang.

We had a great time putting it together.

Wes Beckwith, Robin Wood, and Steve Warner did a great job of keeping us all on track...without them, it would have been a much tougher task!

I can't speak for all of us, but many thanks and I hope you continue to get more from that book than you ever expected!:D

tokyo drifter
06-18-2004, 06:23 PM
wha, policarpo worked on it? Then I bet the book says at least once to stop complaining in forums and go make some art! (ohh and buy a mac, motion builder, and cinema 4d) :D

theo
06-18-2004, 06:36 PM
Haha....funny Tokyo.

As much as I like Policarpo I have yet to figure out if he is a double-agent with that C4D rant he's alway got going on.

WilliamVaughan
06-18-2004, 07:08 PM
This is teh book I always wanted....I'm very happy to be apart of such an amaziong team of authors on this masterpiece :)

tokyo drifter
06-18-2004, 07:32 PM
I'm going to borders tonight, hopefully I can absorm teh amaziong book. ;) I'm really interested in Leigh's texturing book too, is that out yet?

jevinstudios
06-18-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by proton
This is teh book I always wanted....I'm very happy to be apart of such an amaziong team of authors on this masterpiece :)

And you should be! This is the most amazing software "Tips" publication I've gotten my hands on so far, and I've barely scraped the surface. Your contribution is an extraordinary benefit to the LightWave community. Thanks for your input!

Kevin Soderlund
Jevin Studios

sadkkf
06-18-2004, 09:19 PM
1001 TNT is the deal of the century. $25 for more than 1300 tips...yeah, well worth the preorder. And well worth the purchase now. And I haven't even opened the CD yet.

policarpo
06-18-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by theo
Haha....funny Tokyo.

As much as I like Policarpo I have yet to figure out if he is a double-agent with that C4D rant he's alway got going on.

Haha!

Nah...I am just an artist who wants to make good work...and I have the tools to do so...

And with all these great tips from all these great artists we all will benefit.

:D

dwburman
06-18-2004, 11:34 PM
I dunno guys. I've been reading it and found it to be rather dry and repetive. I mean, I'm in the third or forth chapter and there hasn't been a single murder or love affair. It's all techno-babble and geek-speak. Oh well, at least it has pictures.

Some of the tips overlap so I'm thinking it may be more like 879 tips and tricks in reality. If I were more anal or less lazy, I'd count up the number of trully unique tips and nullify the contradictory tips to arrive at a more accurate number. Of course, if there are 1300 tips and the title says 1001, maybe they are compensating for them.

Proton: In the first couple of chapters I was thinking of refering to you as Mr additional notes. It seemed like all of your tips had a NOTE=> after them and no one else did. (Actually, I had a better title in mind but I'm tired now so I can't think well. Honestly, I am s' smart. I am s' smart. s-m-r-t I mean, s-m-a-r-t).

SplineGod
06-18-2004, 11:46 PM
I had a great time reading thru the other tips myself. Really good stuff! I am very happy to have been apart of a book like this. Kudos to Wes for managing such a monster! :)

riki
06-19-2004, 05:37 AM
Sweet mine must be on it's way.

siproductions
06-19-2004, 07:25 PM
Got mine in and it looks great. Can't wait to read it. However was I supposed to get a $50 Tim buck with it??

sadkkf
06-20-2004, 08:49 AM
That's a good question. Mine didn't have Tim Bucks either.

DigiLusionist
06-23-2004, 12:46 AM
ugh. politics...

Am going to buy a copy asap.

riki
06-23-2004, 01:02 AM
My copy arrived yesterday, looks great. Has there been any clarification yet on how we collect the Tim Bucks and Respower hours?

dwburman
06-23-2004, 07:10 AM
There was another thread where they said the Tim Bucks offer has expired but I don't know when you ordered. I haven't heard anything on how to redeem any of the other offers either though (like the discount from art2part.)

bloontz
06-23-2004, 08:38 AM
For the Timbucks Wes said somewhere that he was sending the the info on who should get them to Newtek and they will handle it I guess. For ther 3DArtToPart I received an email with a discount code and instructons. I think the respower was handled similarly but I don't have an email from them. There were cuttoff dates for those offers.

Carbon71
06-23-2004, 12:49 PM
Where can I get the book? I'm seeing it as not availible on amazon.

Carbon

btw-when is the LW 8 official release? Where the manual et al?

zecryan
06-23-2004, 01:46 PM
goto wordware.com to buy lightwave tips ans tricks, its a great book.