PDA

View Full Version : Can this be done?

MediaSig
06-17-2004, 08:16 PM
I have just finished a big project and want to clear out my drives. After going through many revisions, I want to back-up my RTV renders done in After Effects, but I have so many, I'm not sure which ones are in my project.

I was hoping I could somehow go into the Spreadsheet on the project - find out what files are used, maybe even somehow have TeD delete un-used files not in the timeline from the drives - then just backup the rest.

So far, looks like there is no way of highlighting used/unused clips in the bins - would be a nice feature to have as I've used it on other non-linear systems. I can't even print out the Spreadsheet page to tell me what clips I AM using.

sigh....anyone have any ideas or is there something I'm missing (other than doing a little more date-specific labeling of my clips next time).

Thanks,
Greg

P.S. - Wow...I'm sitting here doing a PRINT SCREEN and then pasting it in Photoshop - this is what I have to do to get a list the clips USED in my project????

Jim_C
06-17-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by MediaSig
P.S. - Wow...I'm sitting here doing a PRINT SCREEN and then pasting it in Photoshop - this is what I have to do to get a list the clips USED in my project????

:mad:
Frustrating,

Except for your clip labels of used clips becoming bold in the bin while your project is open I do not think there is much more help/hope.

As of right now.

Hopefully I am wrong.

MediaSig
06-17-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Jim_C
:mad:
Except for your clip labels of used clips becoming bold in the bin while your project is open I do not think there is much more help/hope.

Thanks Jim. At least that helps a little bit.

I looked in the manual of exactly what I'm supposed to be able to do with the Spreadsheet. Afterward I sat there thinking "that's it?"

:rolleyes:

Greg

Danner
06-18-2004, 12:43 AM
Open your project in Tedit, then delete every clip. the toaster will not let you delete files being used in tedit

MediaSig
06-18-2004, 01:18 AM
EXCELENT!!

This works well for now.

Thanks Danner...this has been a BIG help.

Greg

Rich Deustachio
06-18-2004, 12:01 PM
You do know that clips used in the project will show up with bold names in the bin while the project it loaded.

MediaSig
06-18-2004, 12:43 PM
Yes...

Jim mentioned that in an earlier reply, but that did help out. I did some research int he manual and must have missed that in my skimming.

I appreciate everyones response. It's been most helpful.

Still...I'll probobly post something about file and project management in "Feature Requests."

Greg

wvp
06-18-2004, 05:51 PM
I agree that the spreadsheet feature can be made much more powerful. Its still in its infancy...
Adding the ability to sort the spreadshet by clicking on colum heading would be very helpful (then you can sort clips by audio, video, transistions, etc.

AS for you comment "go into the Spreadsheet on the project - find out what files are used" this will never work, as the project will only show files it is using. The FILEBIN will show all your clips weather or not they are being used.
In the filebin you could change the view to a details view and thus see a "list" of the files, with the ones in use on the currently open project being in bold (as you have stated). Newtek needs to add a checkbox colum in this view that mirrors the bolding effect they use. Then make it windows like so you can sort on these colums.

Of course you can render out clips to single files & then delete the clips :(

Jim_C
06-18-2004, 06:06 PM
bradl pointed out before, really the spreadsheet is just a reskinned Storyboard view with a basic file requester addition.

I guess clicking and sorting by a column in it would be as tricky as doing it in storyboard which is probably not coded to do.