PDA

View Full Version : Best non Apple LCD monitor for Lightwave?

Ade
03-27-2003, 08:45 AM
I want to buy an LCD to compliment my new G4. I dont like or trust Apple monitors so could someone recommend me an LCD in "17 that has these characteristics-

Doesnt take up much deskspace
Sharpest and clearest
warranty 2-3years
not ugly
no speakers in monitor
No colour, scrolling blurring

So far i have seen the Formac.com 1740 LCD
and the Samsung 172T model.
Samsung looks on paper to have higher specs like 500:1 contrast vs 400:1 and a lower pixel rate.

tell me what brands u like, Lightwave and 2d pro stuff it will be used for.

mlinde
03-27-2003, 09:33 AM
I don't have one yet, but Formac just announced a new line of LCDs with a MAXIMUM of 2 dead pixels:

"Formac's Platinum line of flat panel displays is available immediately through Formac Certified Resellers and Shop Formac. Formac's Gallery 2010 sells for a MSRP of $1,399, and $699 for the Gallery 1740."

I'd be curious as well, although I've been thinking about the Apple 17" display. I don't have the same reservations (especially since one of my render nodes is still running an Apple Multiscan 15" display circa 1994).

paintboy
03-27-2003, 10:32 AM
Ade,
dont know what you dont like about apple flats.
i have had a 22" cinema for 2 yrs. now....best money i ever spent on computer equipment.

wapangy
03-27-2003, 10:43 AM
Apple's monitors are the best ones out there, period. I know their specs arn't as high as some others, but the other companies must be lying or something, because I've seen tons of LCD's and Apple's blow away all the other ones. I have the 17" and its perfect.

Apple has special deals with the manufacturers (I think samsung is one) to get the cream of the crop, because they help out with the R&D.

I would not trust Formac, some say they are good, and others say they are horible.

I've read bad reviews on Apple's and good review's on other monitors that I have seen in person that were horible. Don't trust everything you read. I suggest going and seeing an Apple monitor in person.

Archer
03-27-2003, 11:04 AM
I have 2 Apple flats (no I don't use them together.. but I might in the future).. unsurpassed design and quality in my opinion. The wide format on the 22" is perfect for 3D work *and* they just cut the prices almost in half. Think about it.

eblu
03-27-2003, 11:44 AM
i have an apple 17" lcd
i agree with the above posts... best money spent on the computer.

and it really does blow away every other Monitor out there (and i mean Every monitor). Whatever they r doing, Apple is doing it right.

i thought i might get a new 17", but i think i'll save up a bit more money, sell the 17 and get an HD display. i just played with one, and its incredible. FCP can have 2 full size ntsc preview windows, Next to each other... and still have about 3 inches on the side for more windows! they didnt have LW on the machine, but I cant imagine it ever feeling crowded, unlike every crt I've ever been on. They found the perfect Height x Width ratio, and the mouse doesnt feel sluggish for some reason (moving across all that real estate).

its feels like having 2 19 inch monitors side by side, without the awkward break in the desktop.
and its so much more affordable than it was last year!

skippy
03-27-2003, 12:02 PM
I have the formac gallery 17" pixels. they do guarantee 2 or fewer dead pixels (mine has 1).

While Apple's monitors do get high marks, theirs aren't the only ones that do, and Formac excells in ability to match pantone with accuracy, should that be important to you.

I'm happy with my Formac. OSX looks great on it. Text looks great. colors look great. LW hi-Q renders look great.

s

Ade
03-27-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by paintboy
Ade,
dont know what you dont like about apple flats.
i have had a 22" cinema for 2 yrs. now....best money i ever spent on computer equipment.

I once bought an Apple 1710 crt for $1700aus back in '96 and it stuffed up soo many times i was left to goto different apple shops to find someone that wanted to help me..
I was left without a monitor for 1 year from bringing it back 8 times.
In the end i sold it cause it was too much trouble.
Point is Apple gave me the run around soo many times I rang up apple and said I will never buy another one of your crappy screens again..I took em to consumer affairs too just to make em listen which they had to.

BTW the new apple screens are B grade nec tubes and are very underfeatured like 350:1 contrast 0.294 pixel rate.
Others are 400:1 to 500:1 contrast and 0.26 pixel rate. So I can see apples upto their old tricks again selling B grade stuff in A grade cases. *note - this goes for the "17 to "20 lcds just released (not the ones before). Pay for what u get.

paintboy
03-27-2003, 07:29 PM
Ade,
sorry you had a tough go. no problems here, good value.
apple does'nt exactly have an exclusive on selling stuff that does'nt work ...

1996? you wouldnt hold a grudge would you mate?:D(just kidding...i am much the same)
good luck on your search for the perfect monitor.

wapangy
03-27-2003, 07:48 PM
Whatever you may think, Apple's stuff is not grade B. I don't care about specs if they lie, I've seen some of the most expensive LCD's money can buy, with perfect reviews, and they were utter crap in every way. Apple's are the best quality you can find, period.

My brother had to send a Sony monitor back 6 times, and they would never believe him that it was messed up, you can run into that stuff in every company, but my experice with Apple's support has been very good, at least within the past few years, they seem to be very nice about exchanging things.

By the way, some say the new 20" is lower quality than the others, but when I saw it in the store it was fine, very bright and crisp.

Ade
03-27-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by wapangy
Whatever you may think, Apple's stuff is not grade B. I don't care about specs if they lie, I've seen some of the most expensive LCD's money can buy, with perfect reviews, and they were utter crap in every way. Apple's are the best quality you can find, period.

My brother had to send a Sony monitor back 6 times, and they would never believe him that it was messed up, you can run into that stuff in every company, but my experice with Apple's support has been very good, at least within the past few years, they seem to be very nice about exchanging things.

By the way, some say the new 20" is lower quality than the others, but when I saw it in the store it was fine, very bright and crisp.
Its an actual fact they use B grade ned tubes, thats not bagging em, its just fact. Thats why all of a sudden apple lcds were affordable.

I guess these days ppl are too fussy over things that the eye cant notice. 400:1 vs 500:1 wouldnt be that diffrerent?
Samsung 172T looks like a great A grade panel. wall mountable too.

wapangy
03-27-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Ade
Its an actual fact they use B grade ned tubes, thats not bagging em, its just fact. Thats why all of a sudden apple lcds were affordable.

I guess these days ppl are too fussy over things that the eye cant notice. 400:1 vs 500:1 wouldnt be that diffrerent?
Samsung 172T looks like a great A grade panel. wall mountable too.

If you seem to seem to care about specs so much, then what are you doing, using a Mac? They have lower specs in almost every catagory.

It is NOT a fact that they use grade B parts. Every article I've read states exactly opposite that.

Ade
03-28-2003, 12:15 AM
Actual Apple reseller told me.. What do u guys think about the samsung range?

wapangy
03-28-2003, 09:51 AM
Well if you determined to go for non Apple, Samsung is supposed to be good, Apple has used them a lot.

Ade
03-28-2003, 10:47 AM
Believe me im a mac resistance fighter...
Just that they burned me hard with the crt that time. The apple LCD's do look mad. Samsung is brushed metal and wall mountable that sounds good, just want some user feedback.

lightning ad
03-31-2003, 08:27 AM
well i'm sat at a bank of flat screens. A 15" iMac LCD, a powerbook G4 12" LCD and two AG Neovo S-19 LCDs. All of them are pin sharp, good colour and high resolution.
I don't use them for lightwave (except the powerbook 12") as they are part of my video edit suite, and hence, i need damned good image monitoring. I'd recommend any of these monitors. The Neovo's cost about 900 each, i use them at 1280x1024 (i think they go higher) and i wouldn't go back to crt's now. They look really classy as well (could almost have been designed by Bang & Olufsen !)

serpicolugnut
03-31-2003, 08:09 PM
The Formac 20" LCD gets great marks all around. I believe it was chosen over the Apple LCDs as Macworlds Editors Choice. However, I've heard some horror stories on DealMac about Formacs customer service. I've also heard that Formac is in trouble financially and may not survive the year. That could be BS for all I know, but I have heard it...

I've got a 17" Viewsonic LCD. It's an analog LCD, but it's just as responsive as the digital ones from Apple - no ghosting in quick movement. I really like Viewsonic's monitors any haven't had any problems with them in 5 years.

But that Formac is very stylish. I would be very tempted by it (if I had the $$$ right now for a new LCD)...

wapangy
03-31-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by serpicolugnut
I've got a 17" Viewsonic LCD. It's an analog LCD, but it's just as responsive as the digital ones from Apple - no ghosting in quick movement.

The problem with analog is usually with flickering and sometimes sharpness.

The same people who reviewed the formac and gave it good marks also have good marks to other displays with I have need and were awful, so I don't trust them. Some say formac is great, and I have heard bad reports to. If it were me I would stay way from them to be safe.