PDA

View Full Version : Render Mode3...and keep working

mlinde
03-27-2003, 08:30 AM
I've just released the windows version of an LScript designed for Mode 3 rendering. You can read about it here:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1856

hrgiger
03-28-2003, 08:57 PM
So, I've never heard of this before. Can you explain it more? I can render a scene without having LW running? Does it still take up the usual resources? I can work in modeler and layout while this rendering is going on outside of LW?

trentonia
03-31-2003, 10:32 AM
You can also submit your jobs, over the net, and continue working while you render if you go to http://www.respower.com . And, no I don't work for them.

Phil
04-02-2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
So, I've never heard of this before. Can you explain it more? I can render a scene without having LW running? Does it still take up the usual resources? I can work in modeler and layout while this rendering is going on outside of LW?

LWSN mode 3 has been around for a while. WaveFilter's RenderDroid software used it back in the 5.5+ days with batch files to render out scenes (I have found that very useful although this LScript seems more useful still). It's essentially a local render that doesn't require any 'management' software (LW, LightNet, etc.) running.

It should take up less memory given that the overheard of the interface and hub are not required as they are for Layout. I'm not sure how the 6.0+ versions of LW are coded, but there is also an overhead associated with checking the abort render button when rendering within Layout. This used to be quoted as having an appreciable effect on the duration of renders, but this may now no longer be the case. Naturally, LWSN mode 3 will render as fast as it can within the specs of your machine.

As LWSN in mode 3 exists in its own space, you can naturally have modeler and layout open. Under W2K/XP (possible OS X?) you may want to drop the priority of the LWSN process to 'below normal' or 'low' to retain some degree of responsiveness in other applications you might be running. RenderDroid was useful in that the creation and use of a batch file meant starting up following a suspended render was as simple as changing the start frame, but the LScript approach allows this as well although you have to fire up Layout to make the changes.

It's one of those 3rd party tricks that you suddenly realise should have been there all along :)