PDA

View Full Version : Bad video and scratchy audio

i2m
06-17-2004, 02:32 PM
When I first turn my toaster on (after my computer has been off overnight) and digitize new video and audio my toaster works great, video looks nice and clear and my audio is clear. but after a half hour or so after my computer warms up, I can digitize the same clips and the video turns PROGRESSIVELY worse (it has lots of "snow" in the picture like when you turn the tv to a channel that has no signal) The longer I have my computer on and digitize the same clip over again, the problem gets progressively worse. My speakers also start to pop and crackle after my computer has been turned on for 10 minutes or so and it seems to get progressively worse the longer my computer is on. (it sort of sounds like bacon sizzling.). I know this is not a problem with my speakers because I exchanged them and it still has the same problem. My video and audio are both coming straight in and out of my toaster card. It seems to be a problem that gets worse as my computer gets warmer, does anybody have any ideas. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks!!!

Jim Capillo
06-17-2004, 03:11 PM
That sounds like a heat problem. Open the case and aim a fan at the board - see if that cures the problems. If so, you're gonna need to invest in more fans or a bigger case with plenty of ventilation.

These heat problems have been seen before..... :(

ted
06-18-2004, 11:44 AM
I'm not saying heat is your problem, but...it seems like this time every year, a lot of people start posting about odd issues that often result from warmer temperatures.

In our main Edit Bay, we have a fake wall, (i.e. a really long closet), that all our gear sits in, only exposing the face of decks, computers, etc. That "closet" has it's own air conditioner and keeps the equipment below 70 degrees. This has kept heat issues down to a minimum.

Oh...Please ignore the Trinity on the right!!!

i2m
06-18-2004, 11:53 PM
It seems like you guys are both right! I opened my case and aimed a fan at the toastercard and so far my system has been running for 3 hours without a problem. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out, I was very frustrated because I thought I just had a bad card or something but it sounds like this problem is pretty normal if your not working in a cool environment.
THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!