PDA

View Full Version : Wrong polygon count... :s

Guardian
06-16-2004, 02:10 AM
hi all,
I am having a problem that i cannot work out for the life of me. I have created a room and i have individualy counted every different object i have placed into the room and my polygon count comes to 51,000 or there abouts. Now in lightwave i press w to bring up the statistics window and it tells me i have 210,000 polygons in the room and even when i go to render it on low anti, it takes atleast six hours. I have a athlon 2.4, radeon 9600se and 256ddr ram, and that is plenty enough to render this room which is pretty simple. (Below is my room. Its dark and needs a fair bit of tweaking, but with around 4 hours to render a non anti render, its not a quick tast) Any feedback is greatly needed and apreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gaurdian

http://members.iinet.net.au/~pamta/Idea%20Work/Final%20Render%20Castle.jpg

bloontz
06-16-2004, 08:14 AM
If you have subdivision surfaces active on any objects layout will give you the subdivided poly count.

Guardian
06-16-2004, 08:15 AM
ah ic, do you know how i can fix this problem? and would this also be the cause for realy slow rendering?

BeeVee
06-17-2004, 02:56 AM
If you have very long polygons - ones that go from the front of the scene to the back, try cutting them into sections. LightWave isn't as concerned with the number of polys as it is with trying to sort out the z-depth for them. Also, if you have just rendered this picture with an F9 and saved it, make sure you are using ImageViewer.fp rather than the standard one. This will allow you to adjust the lighting in the room without having to rerender (use Image controls).

Lastly, is your hard drive whirring a lot when rendering? I don't think you have enough RAM in your machine. Try upping it to at least 512MB.

B