PDA

View Full Version : Tackling Lightwave via a Wacom Intous 2...

TOXIC-3D
06-14-2004, 08:39 PM
How'dee all...

I have always wanted to get my hands on one of these digital tablets that are out there on the market and have finally come full circle and I'm get'n ready to slam down the cash for a "Wacom Intous 2, 9" x 12" USB tablet" and it dawned on me that I've never thought of asking other "Tablet & Lightwave'N" user's out there what they've learned over the years concerning configuration styles & benefits when it comes to setting up both Lightwave & the Intous 2 to work with each other..? For example,.. there are 16 supposedly programmable buttons along the top of the I'2... "What have you, users of the Tablet interface breed, have you found to be the most productive & impacting when its come to using Lightwave..?

"And because I have a feeling that someone is going to ask Why I want the 9 x 12 rather than something a bit smaller for convience ect... I come from a drawing background and if I'm correct in my expectations of the tablet & (software) interface, I'm going to end up regretting the purchase of a smaller tablet the first time I go and attempt some digital drawing... ya'kno..?"

Thanks in advance...
TOXIC'...

Bytehawk
06-15-2004, 06:05 AM
I only use a tablet. the mouse is sitting in a corner gatherng dust. This is mainly due to RSI problems or someting similar.

Never bothered programming the top buttons since I need to keep my eyes on screen, the numbered buttons really are too hard to go for. Use the keyboard for that.

Don't bother using the icons to rotate or pan a viewport, use the alt shift combination whilst dragging in a viewport.

Enjoy, I know I do som much I even bought one for my job too (nothing graphics related there)

gstonebank
06-15-2004, 06:31 AM
Hi

I use a Graphire 2 A6. Never had any problems using it with LW (you must enable tablet input in options panel if you are using "pen mode"). Some other programs don't like "Pen mode", VT for one. I have had problems with Aura 1/2 on two pcs running tablets (both are dual screen which may have something to do with it). Never used programmable buttons as Graphire doesn't have them so can't help you there.

I prefer the tablet in "Expert mode" which changes the behaviour of the side switch. Difficult to explain to someone who doesn't use a tablet but try it for yourself.

My next tablet will definitely be a bit bigger as there are times when A6 is a bit small. It's great 90% of the time, but for greater accuracy in LW & for drawing, bigger is better.

Cheers
Graeme

Earl
06-15-2004, 09:26 AM
I love using LightWave with my 9x12 Intuos USB tablet. I can't even work with a mouse anymore. Oh, and 9x12 is the perfect size in my mind (and I didn't even come from a drawing background) - so you made a good choice there. One issue to note that ByteHawk addressed are the rotation and panning gadgets at the top of the ViewPorts. If they're located near the edge of the screen it makes using them difficult since you go off the edge of the tablet. However, in Modeler, the only time I really need to use them is in the perspective view - since in orthographic views it's easier to use "g" to re-center the screen, and the , and . keys for zooming. Anyhow, I do use the rotation and panning gadgets for the perspective view. Simple solution: move the perspective viewport to the bottom left of the quad. Then the rotate/pan gadgets are near the center of the screen - giving you plenty of tablet space to rotate and pan. In Layout, I always use the shortcuts Alt + LMB for rotate, etc..

Oh, and I've never found the menu-strip at the top of the Wacom useful. I'm sure some people do, but I'm just not a big fan of it.

CB_3D
06-15-2004, 02:06 PM
I use the same at work. Fantastic for everything, not just for LW.

You work waaaaay faster and more relaxed than with a mouse, you may have heard the "brick" comparisons already ;-)

At home i have a smaller Graphire (2 actually, one for the desktop and another one for the laptop...thatīs how cool they are!!) and they are enough for LW.

Unless you want to do a lot of Photoshop or painting donīt bother going for the (excellent but pricey) Intuos.

CB_3D
06-15-2004, 02:09 PM
Ahh, and the programable buttons are more a pain than anything else.

Sometimes i leave the pen area and unwillingly turn the Intuos to mouse mode in the middle of an operation. Thatīs the only negative thing about it and not a big deal once you get used to the area.

Earl
06-15-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by CB_3D
Ahh, and the programable buttons are more a pain than anything else.

Sometimes i leave the pen area and unwillingly turn the Intuos to mouse mode in the middle of an operation. Thatīs the only negative thing about it and not a big deal once you get used to the area.

That, and you can disable the programable buttons so they are all ignored (and never even show the little numbered button at the top of your screen).

CB_3D
06-15-2004, 06:58 PM
Cool, thx for the tip!