PDA

View Full Version : Downgradng to 7.5

stoehr
03-27-2003, 12:48 AM
So I downgraded to 7.5, because I thought it was causing one of my main objects to constantly crash (my troll character). Now that I have removed 7.5b, I have found the crashes still plague my troll scene. I've concluded it's the object file itself.

Is there a way to edit the object file with notepad? Any anomalies I should look for?

I even tried a fresh new scene, load the object, save the scene, quit layout, crashes when quiting. Almost all of the time now with this particualr object (even Modeler). Even if I try to replace the object with another, newer version of my character, it crashes.

If you can give some help I would appreciate it.

Skonk
03-27-2003, 03:57 AM
Have u tried cutting the object and pasting it into a new object?

James..

stoehr
03-27-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by SpankDaddy
Have u tried cutting the object and pasting it into a new object?

James..
I tried that twice, and it still consistenly crashes when I quit. I'm wondering if this is a probelm with the hub combined with my object file. Because like I said before, it crashes sporadically when I replace the object in Layout.

blinblue
03-27-2003, 01:01 PM
I am by no means a expert (I am really a newbie at this), but you might try strechting it out a TINY bit using by pressing "h" and making it a little wider/taller. There might be something wrong with one of the angles of a polygon that LW doesn't like. This is just a wild guess, but it might work... Or you computer might be low on RAM if you object has a lot of polys in it.

stoehr
03-27-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by blinblue
I am by no means a expert (I am really a newbie at this), but you might try strechting it out a TINY bit using by pressing "h" and making it a little wider/taller. There might be something wrong with one of the angles of a polygon that LW doesn't like. This is just a wild guess, but it might work... Or you computer might be low on RAM if you object has a lot of polys in it.

It's not a poly issue. If it was then half of the things we see made in Lightwave wouldn't work.

It's not a RAM issue; I have 1.5 GB, and I almost never need all of it. Not yet.

TerryFord
03-27-2003, 01:27 PM
You could try converting/saving it with a different name with Deep Exploration. It might filter out whatever's causing the crash. The demo is fully functional for 30 days;

Deep Exploration (http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/)

Regards,
Terry

Rory_L
03-27-2003, 11:21 PM
It's not a RAM issue; I have 1.5 GB, and I almost never need all of it. Not yet.
Are you sure? Your textures look massive. Did the model do this crashing before you started applying the complex surfacing? How does the model behave with only the default surface on it?

R

stoehr
03-28-2003, 12:49 AM
Each map is 1000x1000 pixels, and right now there is 18 maps, and I will have at least eight more to make.

I plan to have a diffuse map for many more of the surfaces, and painted gloss maps as well.

I don't see how this might crash the app. when quiting. Although, I'm not ruling it out. I have a Quadro 2 chipset, and never use openGL textures in Layout (to keep it running as fast as possible).

stoehr
03-28-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by TerryFord
You could try converting/saving it with a different name with Deep Exploration. It might filter out whatever's causing the crash. The demo is fully functional for 30 days;

Deep Exploration (http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/)

Regards,
Terry

I'll give this a try.

Hervé
03-29-2003, 12:04 AM
if really this is not working, then last shot would be to convert the model to DXF, and using it to rebuild the model.... if the file is really corrupt, there is absolutely nothing you can do (note: NT support), I had problems with some textures pop up menus returning to blank each time I downloaded an object, and there was nothing to do.... since you cannot edit an object text file.....

But I'll be intersted to know about the deep exploration stuff.....