PDA

View Full Version : dark video input

fbcamory
06-14-2004, 04:43 PM
video input from a VCR to the SX8 produces dark output (under exposed) from the sx8 output. This only seems to be on the live output the recording in the caputre panel looks normal.

Does anyone think this is a toaster problem or perhaps a cabling problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jim Capillo
06-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Do you have the input double terminated?

Jim Capillo
06-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Or monitor output (double terminated) ??????

fbcamory
06-14-2004, 10:04 PM
I'm new to this stuff and I'm not sure what that means.

Jim Capillo
06-15-2004, 04:27 AM
Termination is putting a 75 ohm load on the line (either physically or electronically) to balance the signal. Not terminating it would mean a signal that is bright or washed out. Double terminating it means the signal would look dark as 2X the needed termination would kill it.

Open a virtual SX-8 and check and see if the termination is on for that input. If so, try turning it off.

To check the monitor (output end), look on the back where the BNC connectors are located - you'll see the cable coming from the SX-8 output. The cable goes in one connector, the one right next to it might have a connector that looks like a little "hat". That is a physical 75 ohm resistor. If you have that and the switch next to the connectors is in the "75 ohm" position, you need to remove one of them - either throw the switch to the other position or remove the connector.

Are you sure your monitor is adjusted correctly ?

Paul Lara
06-15-2004, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by fbcamory
This only seems to be on the live output the recording in the caputre panel looks normal.

You should make sure your proc amp settings are not maladjusted on the switcher by going to the Proc Amp tab (on the 8 or 16-input skin) and double-clicking on all the spinner knobs to make sure they're in detent position.

fbcamory
06-15-2004, 07:36 AM
Jim Capillo,

Thanks for the info on termination and that does seem to be the problem I turned off the switch on the virtula SX8 and the video brightened to a normal output.

Thanks again.

Jim Capillo
06-15-2004, 02:25 PM
You're welcome.... glad I could help :)