PDA

View Full Version : VT[2] on XP Problems

evance
06-13-2004, 08:33 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post VT[2] issues but I'll give it a try.

When I first purchased VT[2] I built a custom box to put it in which was running Windows 2000. It ran perfect. I've now dedicated that system to my recording studio and purchased a more powerful system. This time I installed Windows XP. My problem is that I'm currently getting video studdering when playing back video in both the DDR and toaster edit. Ofcourse this is bad for streaming and recording to tape. My question is. Should I revert back to Windows 2000 or are there any setting changes that I can make.

My system specs are
Dual P4 3.2 Xeon
2 Gigs Ram
Four Drive Raid (73 Gigs a piece)
Two system drives (root = 80 Gigs, Audio = 160)
VT[2] with XP install (I think 3890)

Any suggestion would be nice.

evance

John Perkins
06-14-2004, 09:13 AM
I'd make sure that you are installing the newest Intel, Adaptec and Nvidia drivers.

With XP it is all too easy to forget that the drivers that come with XP suck. They function for an office PC, but not for editing.

I've had bad luck with stuttering when Hyperthreading was turned on and NewTek has said that it doesn't help anyway.

You didn't mention what slots you are using, or which motherboard, but put the VT in a 32bit slot to avoid slowing down the SCSI controller. A 32bit card in a 64bit slot slows the 64bit bus down to 33Mhz. Not good.

In any case, XP should work just as well as 2000.

Good luck

evance
06-14-2004, 10:33 AM
Thanks for your reply. I have to check my system for the spec of the Mother board and the PCI slots. I will also check the latest drivers for my video card. Thanks

evance

Jim_C
06-14-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by VT Owner
I've had bad luck with stuttering when Hyperthreading was turned on and NewTek has said that it doesn't help anyway.

Hey Mr Owner, just wondering who/where you heard that from.
In tests I have done on my system with HT on/off, I definitely get faster render (both LW and Timeline renders) results with HT turned on.

Just wondering....

Thanks,
Jim

Ivan
06-14-2004, 12:10 PM
I second that Jim. All systems I've built and tested, HT increases performance with no ill effects. Check to be sure you have DirectX 9b. Start/Run "dxdiag".

Ivan

John Perkins
06-14-2004, 02:21 PM
I've done a quick search, but I can't find the reference, I thought Pat said that the way the software was written, hyperthreading would not help. Maybe I'm on crack, but I sure thought he said this. It was back during the VT2 days.

I've personally seen instances on more than one dual xeon where turning this off fixed a stuttering problem.

It is a hit or miss option, some apps will get about a 30% performance increase, some will take an even larger performance hit. It's like having two CPU's, but each with half the cache and pipelines according to an Intel engineer.

I may just be superstitious, but I'm OK with that as long as the systems work ;)

Ivan
06-14-2004, 03:16 PM
There are things that HT will not improve because they depend on transfer rate from the drives. Most render times however should improve with HT turned on. Number of layers in realtime will not improve except possibly when working with AVIs.

I have notnoticed much if any stuttering with HT turned on unless we are really pushing a lot of layer in which case it is not HT but transfer rates.

Ivan

Jim Capillo
06-14-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by VT Owner
I've personally seen instances on more than one dual xeon where turning this off fixed a stuttering problem.

I've had my dual Xeon for awhile now (with HT on) and I've never experienced such problems.

What I will suggest is a consult with a knowledgable Newtek dealer who knows about setting up VT with XP. I'll bet there is a setting somewhere that is causing your problem.

evance
06-14-2004, 05:32 PM
I've checked everything mentioned above. Both with hyperthreading and none hyperthreading. I've installed the lastet update and patch to directX.

Here is an update on my specs:
Dual Intel Xeon 3.2
2 Gigs Ram
An adaptec scsi card in a 64 bit pci slot
Toaster in a 32 bit PCI slot
A PNY Technology GeForce FX5200 DDR 128MB NVidia Card
A Supermicro X5DAE Motherboard
An Adaptec 800 mb Firewire card in a 64 Bit PCI slot

There are no other cards installed.

But still no luck with the studdering solution.

evance

Jim_C
06-14-2004, 06:20 PM
What is auto config telling you about your drive speed?
Do you have a failing drive showing up in disk management?

Did your raid get transferred from 2k to XP OK?

I remember there being something strange I had to do to the raid when I went from 2k to XP

evance
06-14-2004, 07:40 PM
Well its gotten worse. But first. I assumed by raid drives got transfered ok but I'm not sure and I do not know how to tell but I do have the patience to redo the drives (partitions and format). But now I'm getting no responce from the toaster after my upgrades. I get the no video signal when I launch toaster. I may be re-doing the box but hopefully i can fix the video signal thing then try to redo the raid drives.

evance

Jim_C
06-14-2004, 07:47 PM
Is this your very first XP and T2 install after the new build?

Sounds like there may be a funky hardware conflict somewhere.

Maybe?

evance
06-14-2004, 08:52 PM
Yes. My old machine was a Dual P4 Xeon 2.4 with a gig of ram. It had the same raid. The only thing I took out the old system was the Raid drives, the SCSI Controller and the Toaster board. It worked on that box with Windows 2K. I'll redo this box over this weekend and redo the Raid drives over and see what happens. I have all the same software so I don't think its the software. Just your regular Photoshop, Sonic Real DVD, LW[8], and Emagic Logic with all three spectrasonics modules for music production. These were all on the previous box with no problems. If this redo doesn't work, I'll be going back to W2K until I can get VT[3].

Is VT[3] stable on XP?

evance

Jim_C
06-14-2004, 08:57 PM
>>Is VT[3] stable on XP?

Yes.

You do have to have T2 version 3890 to run XP.
Not sure if anyone mentioned that.

Paul Lara
06-15-2004, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Jim_C
You do have to have T2 version 3890 to run XP.
Not sure if anyone mentioned that.

Further, it can not be the download version of 3890. To run this on XP, you must obtain the CD version from Customer Service, which contains the proper XP drivers.

evance
06-15-2004, 11:37 AM
Yes. I did get the 3890 cd for XP. I installed it and it was working but with studdering. Now after updating some drivers (video, directX) I get the "No present video signal" error. I will redo my box this weekend but I did forget to update my adaptec scsi drivers or install them.

evance

evance
06-15-2004, 08:28 PM
You know after all the work and worrying I did yesterday, when I got home today and turned on my machine the toaster worked. No more "No Video Signal Present". But I noticed everytime I reboot the machine I get that "No Video Signal Present". I guess it's a reboot thing. At least I can hard boot and everything will work again. One more test though. I've removed the partition on the raid drive, recreated it and now formating. Maybe this will fix something.

evance

evance
06-16-2004, 10:07 AM
No I didn't redo the system. I'm not sure if I need to. I can deal with not soft rebooting. I heard that doesn't do well anyway. At least that's what tech support told me last year because of the toaster board.

Anyway. I got the studdering to stop. Well at least on a 10 minute watch. I have a two hour video I captured and I'll sit there and watch the whole thing to make sure there's no studdering. Two hours is the most I may have for one clip. At the most I'll have multiple clips streamed together if doing live stuff.

My solution. Well it wasn't really mine actually. The idea came from Jim_C. What I did was deleted the partitions to my raid that was migrated (with data on it) to the XP box. Then I reformatted it (the long way, not quick). And so far so good. The video that was studdering wasn't. I watch for about 5 to 10 minutes and there was no studdering.

Anyway. Thanks to all the people who assisted.
evance

zaam
06-18-2004, 10:16 PM
evance,

Your problem sounds exactly like mine. Using the 3890 CD on a new clean install of XP, I now have stuttering where there was none before. I'm not really keen on re-doing the partitions on my raid right now (other reasons). Did you find any other way that offered a possible solution?

evance
06-21-2004, 07:22 AM
Other than re-doing the entire machine, I tried everything I heard of and was told to do by other members on this forum. I tried updating drivers, software, etc. Nothing worked except for re-doing my raid. Other than that, I don't have much more to offer.

evance