PDA

View Full Version : added FX emitter as custom object, but particles do not render

tomf
06-13-2004, 12:50 PM
been getting back into lightwave (version 8). maybe i'm missing something (i've read and re-read the lightwave help pages).

a regular emitter object (eg. Partigons) is seen in layout AND also in final renders. however, if i want particles to come from an object (eg. verticies), i have to add the FX emitter as a custom object on the object properties panel. great, so the particles do come from the object -- BUT now these particles will not render (though i can see them in the layout view). i can't even specify any surface settings for the particles since they do not show up as a separate object in the surfaces panel.

so, how can i get particles to come from an object AND render (PS. no i do not want to use hypervoxels, just regular single-point polygons).

it might be something really obvious that i'm missing. thanks in advance.

gjjackson
06-13-2004, 01:01 PM
In the generator tab of dynamics did you select the nozzle as being vertices.

evenflcw
06-13-2004, 01:42 PM
Partigons are as you might know single point polygons. Particles however are just points in space, so there's no geometry to render until you either attach some hypervoxels OR some real geometry (any object) using FX_Linker. The only other alternative I can think of is parenting a partigon emitter to the particle emitting object and using one of the "parent-emitter" Nozzle options to make the objects particles emitt the partigons instead of the object itself. Probably messy to set up.

John Fornasar
06-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Open the FX Linker...
Utilities tab, Plugins/Additional, select FX Linker

to start, try assigning a simple cube or ball to your emitter -

in the first drop down, you'll see your emitter. Go to the "Replace Object" box and select an object in your scene
(to start, add a simple cube or ball to your scene and use that in "Replace Object".

Go to the copy box and up the number .. hit ok, and scrub your timeline.

tomf
06-14-2004, 06:59 PM
gjjackson: yes i did. when it's a Partigon Emitter, selecting the nozzle as verticies doesn't have any effect (because there is no spoon -- i mean, there is no object). and when it's a Particle Emitter, the particles do not render at all.

John: yeah i guess FX Linker is a solution, even if it's not the most elegant. i would probably use a single-point polygon object file for the replacement object (ahh, i remember the good old days of LW 1.0). trying it now...

evenflcw: very interesting alternative. i set FX Emitter to generate polygons (that last for only 1 frame) at the object surface, then parented a partigon emitter to that object and set that to generate by parent-emitter. kind of works. problem is you lose the ability for the partigons to inherit the parent object's motion. as you said, a bit messy, but might work in some situations.

too bad that LW's integrated particle system does not have a quick option for creating partigons for an emitter applied to an object. also, its very strange that the options for generate by object-verticies, object-surface and object-normal all show up for Partigon Emitters, even though these have no effect (i wish they did!).

if anyone else has any other suggestions please do post. thanks!