PDA

View Full Version : Space Marines References?

kevinmcpoland
06-13-2004, 03:28 AM
Hi there,

After wasting more time in my life than is probably healthy I have come to the conclusion that I am rubbish at searching....

Anyway, does anyone know of any good reference sites for Warhammer/Space Marines type armour? I have seen a few of the fan sites showing the completed miniatures, but unfortunately many of them are just too small to act as good references, and also, if possible I would like to see the typical non-posed references in front/rear/side etc...

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Kevin McPoland
[email protected]

amorano
06-13-2004, 04:02 AM
I am a lover of the game.

Unfortunately the best place for resources are the books and minis.

The books aren't cheap, but there is actually a new catalog out for all the minis. It is huge, covers everysingle miniature they produce and you can scan the images super high I would image. Some images area already big (2x3).

The catalog runs 30$. The books are each about 20-25$. So, obviously, the catalog is a better deal.

There is also White Dwarf. Although that is hit and miss so I would recommend thumbing through for good pics first.

The books also have the side benefit of concept art. Lots of great stuff.

You can also try Ebay. Sometimes people stuff up large images of the better painted minis.

HTH

Karmacop
06-13-2004, 05:07 AM
I'd say find a good miniature, take some high res photos, and use them. Or scan the miniature ... though I guess without a digital camera or scanner you can't do that ....

kevinmcpoland
06-13-2004, 05:26 AM
Cheers Guys! I guess with so much on the internet nowadays I kinda make the assumption I'll find EVERYTHING!! Still, it was worth asking....

Kevin McPoland

mkiii
06-13-2004, 08:35 AM
A search on Google for 'citadel miniatures' will produce the most hits. You can also go direct to their website at http://www.games-workshop.com & click on the Warhammer 40,000 link which has plenty of stuff.

grafikimon
06-13-2004, 12:37 PM
I posted some reference to this forum years ago..or maybe it was last year.

do a search for sketchyjay or warhammer 40k or wh40k

there was images of a few armor types from different periods in their history.

I think the best way will be to find a book and then draw it out yourself. I purchased a few books as reference for a friend who was doing cover art for one of their boxes and there is maybe one front shot of the beaked armor but no straight side shots that I know of.

THe shot is from an early issue of White dwarf magazine.

A later issue had all the various armor from the front.

From looking at the books you will find that the scale of the armor completely depend on the artists as well.

The minis are bulky 6 ft looking figures while some of the army guides have 10ft tall giants in immossibly tall armor (they look really cool) but the scale is depending on the mood they are going for.

good luck