PDA

View Full Version : Output to Reel Player

wvp
03-26-2003, 08:11 PM
I have video that is 2-5 minutes long. Ultimately it goes to the Reel Player format for streaming/downloading.
Current process is to output on CD in avi format and it then gets converted to Reel on another computer.
Question is: what is the best choice for creating this avi file? uncompressed will not work as it will not fit on CD (allthough I may start using DVD-RW).
Utimately I may do the reel encoding on the same computer, but until then...

SBowie
03-26-2003, 09:21 PM
Probably DV...

wvp
03-27-2003, 12:51 PM
Tried that first.
This particular clip is 3:20. It would not fit on a 700mb CD. I think file size was 730 or something.
For now I think we will have to use DV & burn on DVD.

Rich Deustachio
03-27-2003, 05:05 PM
Check out a program called Helix Producer, it encodes AVI file to real player files.

wvp
03-28-2003, 07:12 PM
Yeah Rich, we HAVE Helix. I was looking for best solution to export clips via AVI to a (preferably CD) for Helix encoding on another PC.
Aside from encoding on same pc, I think best solution is to go uncompressed avi onto a DVD-RW.
Many thanks:)

mgrusin
03-29-2003, 11:41 AM
Are the PCs 'near' each other? Then I'd network them together. $50 for two 10/100 network cards, and a cat-5 crossover cable (be sure to get crossover if you just want to direct-connect two computers together!). Then let Windows networking do its magic. Takes a few minutes to transfer a GB at 100mb/s. As the commercial says, priceless.

Good luck! -MG

ted
03-30-2003, 12:38 AM
We have 6 computers networked in our studios. Some of them have specific programs for certain applications.

It's much easier to drop the clips or projects over the network and have someone convert them for the specific need, then tying up our edit bays.
I did pay someone to set it up, but I was surprised how easy it was to do.