PDA

View Full Version : Where do I go to switch CD from PIO to DMA?

Jim_C
06-12-2004, 01:08 PM
>Where do I go to switch CD from PIO to DMA?

Poking around system information I feel like I am close but do not really see changeable options.

Is this a bios thing?

Having some audio troubles and just read this may be a culprit.

Thanks all,
Happy Saturday!

Jim

John Perkins
06-12-2004, 01:48 PM
It's not really a setting on the drive, but the IDE controller.

Go to the device manager and you will see three things listed for IDE controllers. The controller itself and also Primary and Secondary. These are the first and second cables.

Right click and select Properties for the cable your CD is on and then click on the advanced settings tab. Device 0 is the master on this cable and device 1 is the slave.

Change the transfer type to DMA if available and exit the device manager. It will ask you to reboot.

While you are in there, you could also set the device type for any unused devices (empty connectors on the cable) to none instead of auto detect. This will make Windows quit looking for the missing device and speed up your boot times a little.

Unless the BIOS is set really weird, this should do it. The BIOS can disable DMA, but by default it should be set to auto.

Good luck with the audio problems.

Jim_C
06-12-2004, 02:24 PM
Thank You Mr Owner.

Just checked using your steps and I have been at DMA.

I believe following steps from Newtek on the other thread I may have discovered it is the hardware of the T card.

Thanks for the new to me info tho.

JiM