PDA

View Full Version : Shadows emergency

Johnny
06-11-2004, 11:37 AM
I am having fits with a sphere shaped object on a surface casting shadows, such the the sphere looks like a cutout just pasted ther..doesn't look like it's there at all.

Is this a shadows problem? I don't know how to translate "needs to look like it's sitting in the scene, not cut and pasted there' into Lightwvae speak.

Any thoughts?

J

gazmon
06-11-2004, 12:41 PM
It may be helpful to post a picture up so we can see what u mean...
Gaz

Johnny
06-11-2004, 12:49 PM
true enough.

to me, these apples don't look like they're "there"

J

http://home.earthlink.net/~zoomin/float.jpg

bloontz
06-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Probably your lighting setup. Try turning down ambient if you haven't already. Maybe try a different light or shadow type. Area lights give nice results if you don't mind the render time. Shadow mapped shadows can give good results too.

Johnny
06-12-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by bloontz
Probably your lighting setup. Try turning down ambient if you haven't already. Maybe try a different light or shadow type. Area lights give nice results if you don't mind the render time. Shadow mapped shadows can give good results too.

I've only tinkered with area lights...I've seemed to gravitate toward spots..can you ballpark me what area lights can do to render times?

if that's the way to go, I'll go there, but need to brace myself for huge render times, and having to relate that to my client...

thanks for the help!

J

bloontz
06-12-2004, 11:08 AM
If you have FPrime area lights can be a good way to go as FPrime doesn't take the hit that the native renderer does. A problem with area lights is that they can require high AA levels if you want softer shadows (achieved by scaling up the area lights) else they will be overly grainy. Shadow mapped spots can be nice and are quick to render. You may want to try Eki's Plug Pak, it will set up lighting rigs for you that use spinning light tricks with shadow mapped spots that can have very nice soft shadows and GI like illuminations with reasonable render times. You can use Plug Pak for free, it will nag you to register but is fully functional. It's reasonably priced if you find that it suits your needs.