PDA

View Full Version : Hows the new node based expression builder ?

Emmanuel
06-11-2004, 07:39 AM
Hi,

has anybody played with it yet ?
Is it fun and straightforward ?

weight
06-11-2004, 08:07 AM
Master Plugins - Expression Editor

theo
06-11-2004, 08:14 AM
Master Plugins - Expression Editor

What?!

Aquaman
06-11-2004, 08:57 AM
I've played around with it a bit and it seems very easy to use from the few tests I've done with it, however there is a bug with it. There is a limitation on the number of characters that can be in the elements name. If you rename it you should be ok, but if you leave it at the default name that the editor creates when you select a channel you may not be able to make connections to other elements.

harlan
06-11-2004, 03:52 PM
As Aquaman indicated, there's a bit of a bug with it, but other than that, it's really cool.

Speaking of the bug, and channels in general, it irks me to have to "activate" a channel before it's visible in GE or Expression Editor, or whatever. There should be a way to access all of the items individual channels (not just transform channels) without having to first "activate" that function of the item.

In otherwords - you should be able to access Spotlight Angle, or whatever, in GE from the get go without having to first activate an Envelope for it.

Does that make sense?

But to get back on track, the Expression Editor is very nice.

hairy_llama
06-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Another bug is if you have very many objects in your scene( hundreds) you can not select any of them to put expressions on. It has a TINY item list that is NOT resizable and its scroll bar will jump over more items per jump than its screen displays so it is impossible to select your item. Terrible.

harlan
06-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure where the logic behind not making it resizable came from, as most of the panels in LW are. Seems like all the panels that should be resizable from the start, never are, it takes a revision or two. God only knows why.

hairy_llama
06-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Yeah... the Item Properties panel is the same way, you can not resize it so if you apply a lot of deform modifiers etc it can get to be a real pain. I also don't like the way hte new resizing system works on hte scene editor. You can only resize by dragging on the bottom right corner. It should be from any corner like any NORMAL program... Graph editor is correct(drag any corner). The surface editor is allso correct.
They really need to keep everything working the SAME way.
My theory is they are differant because differant programmers work on each section of LW. I know the guy who made spreadsheet had it only resizable from the bottom left.... I believe he also programmed the new scene editor....

Emmanuel
06-14-2004, 11:51 AM
If there was a thing called "style guide" we wouldn't find all these different kind of "behaviors" in LW.
Scene Ed is just one example.There are others.

harlan
06-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Yeah, no kiddin, I wish they would "standardize" a little more.

Kvaalen
06-14-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by harlan
Yeah, no kiddin, I wish they would "standardize" a little more. Yep! Same with the new morph mixer. They should all be resized the old way (and the new too if they want). The morph mixer is going in the right direction but also has many more problems and the resizing is one of them.