PDA

View Full Version : Spam

Stewpot
02-11-2003, 04:28 PM
Sadly, it seems (in my opinion) we have a detestable lifeform infesting these new boards.

Yep - A SPAMMER.

I have within the last 10 minutes received a spam message advertising homeworking via the instant personal messaging pop-up service on this board. I know its from this board, since I don't subscribe to any other messaging services. And now I don't subscribe to this one!!

Perhaps this moronic parasite could crawl under whichever rock it emerged from and die.

Sad ain't it??!!

kevman3d
02-11-2003, 04:51 PM
As far as I am aware, your email address is never disclosed in this system - Any email is sent via a form. So its unlikely anybody could spam you from your signing up here...

But well, with so many avenues for spam to find you, its hard to establish where your email was found (or if it was guessed - Sometimes spammers will have an 'unsubscribe from this list' option that is simply used to confirm a valid email address!)

The worst thing for spam is to get an online email address like hotmail, yahoo or one of those others. These are a major spam zones... In less then 2 months, I get over 6Mb of spam in my Yahoo inbox - Lucky they stopped the free autoforwarding service, eh! :)

But that's pretty sad - Lets hope its not someone here...

Stewpot
02-11-2003, 05:09 PM
No you don't understand. This is the pop messaging service integral to the board. Not an e-mail!!

Tommi
02-12-2003, 07:30 AM
These are personal messages. As far as anyone on the board wants to say something to you, this popup appears and your may want to check your personal mail.
Normally it is impossible to spam you from one account, because this bulletin board system has a time limit of 60 seconds to wait before you can post something again to another member (at least at CGTalk it is set that way - same system). That would be a bunch of work for someone who wants to spam you.
But I guess, that you got that popup wrong. It is included in that system and confirming with okay will not subscribe you to anything. You are asked only whether you want the script to open a new browser window in which you personal mail folder will be shown. There is nothing else what will happen...