PDA

View Full Version : math book illustration

veljko
06-10-2004, 03:31 PM
dont know if any remember Ive posted a thread about an illustration i was hired to do for a math book-
You can find the thread somewhere in the last few days-
here is the new idea which will be the corner stone of the new illustration- it is the birth of an fibonnachi seashell- Thoes that are not familiar with this- there is a percise way the seashell compartments devide the shell- fibonnachi made the formula which can be aplied to this seashell, aswell as many other things in nature- the division of branches, pinecones and many more-
critiques are wellcomed-
:)
hope you like it!

Flat
06-11-2004, 05:12 AM
I think it's a great idea, and the realization is real nice too.
In order to emphasize the math part maybe you could add axis and numbers to the hand-drawn part, you know, making it more like the result of the equation ?

Again, great concept, if your clients don't like it they have no taste. ;)

Phil

veljko
06-11-2004, 06:15 AM
:) luckaly, they approved the concept:)

as for the equation part- i got specific request that no numbers are to be on the cover (i know its wierd....)my first draft was with a few numbers on the sides to make it seem like someone conculated the seashell- the told me to chuck them out...stjuupid..
im glad you like it!-

hrgiger
06-11-2004, 02:17 PM
veljko,

I'm just about to finish up my second semester of college and I'm also just about to finish up trigonometry class. I had college algebra last semester and trig this semester and neither book had numbers on the cover. Both of them were similar to yours in conept (although not with a fibonnachi seashell.

veljko
06-12-2004, 03:16 AM
I guess numbers are demode:)
-im still toying with the idea of slipping in a number or two- just to piss them off:)

veljko
06-13-2004, 02:54 AM
here is the draft of the whole page- minus the authors names and some other info i still need to verify-

hope you like it-

veljko
06-13-2004, 03:47 PM
decided to be a bit more funky:)
here's what came out of that idea:)

Flat
06-14-2004, 12:49 AM
Hmm... I like them both.
The first version is completely archetypal in it's design, very math-book like (though it lacks an equation or two imho).
The second one looks less like a class book and maybe it's a good thing. It's also very dynamic and may please the young more...
I vote number 2. :)

Whichever version will be chosen in the end, you're doing a great job !

Phil, morning coffee in hand

Arcturus
06-14-2004, 01:02 AM
Great design, i like the second shell model much better, the way it fades into the white appears better to me. Not sure which book design i like better, they both look good :)

veljko
06-14-2004, 05:03 AM
thx for the positive feedback-
they went with the second funky design-

veljko
06-17-2004, 03:11 PM
here is how the book will look (hopefully-if the printers dont meess something up-) there will ba a bar code on the bottom part of the back side and the logos of the printers-

scottn
06-18-2004, 09:47 AM
Very nice work

Great modelling on the shell and I think your design of the cover is excellent!

I would have gone for option one myself due to the fact that it is more archtypal. I think the second one looks a little bit ethnic/tribal African.

It's nice to see some 3D being used for design reasons and not just for the sake of using 3D.

I would say this piece is the nicest Iv'e seen on this forum for quite some time.

Flat
06-19-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by scottn
I would say this piece is the nicest Iv'e seen on this forum for quite some time.

Completely agreed.

Phil

veljko
06-19-2004, 09:25 AM
:)considering the works Ive seen on the forum I would have to say that i am supriced and delited by thoes comments:)
IMHO there are nicer works, but who am I to blow against the wind :D

thanx a bunch!

Ge4-ce
06-20-2004, 05:13 AM
Tip.. maybe you can switch on "shading noise reduction" in the global illumination panel. That will reduce the grain on your image. But I don't know what type of rendering you were after offcourse.

veljko
06-21-2004, 02:05 PM
I rendered it out in FPrime- so no shading noise reduction bottuns:)- the grainy layer was not a problem for me- and lets remember this is only a representation of the actual book so this was more then good for the client to see how the cover will look in print-

thx for the thought thou-

Ge4-ce
06-21-2004, 04:28 PM
oh, sorry! Indeed.. Fprime does give a grain. But it goes away if you let it render long enough..

but as you said.. it's just a representation of a book. and a very nice one indeed!

veljko
06-22-2004, 03:59 AM
yup, thats how it goes with f-prime..
My tought is- you better make the real thing look just a bit better then the representation- otherwise people will be dissapointed:)