PDA

View Full Version : Can't eliminate Camera distortion

Johnny
06-10-2004, 01:52 PM
I have a simple scene with three pieces of fruit, identical in size and shape. The way I have the camera settings causes horizontal "stretching" in the right and left piece; the center one is ok.

I've fiddled, but can't kill the distortion. I'm a little under the gun here..any suggestions would be a major help!

thanks!

J

riki
06-10-2004, 05:45 PM
I'm just guessing here, I could be completely wrong. But anyway I won't let that stop me. Try moving the camera way back, until your objects look really small and then increase Zoom.

Johnny
06-22-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by riki
I'm just guessing here, I could be completely wrong. But anyway I won't let that stop me. Try moving the camera way back, until your objects look really small and then increase Zoom.

Hi, riki;

I tried your suggestion...the camera moved way back with an increased zoom value causes the distortion to happen on the right-hand object, instead of the left-hand object as before.

What I need is a setting that introduces no distortion, or no stretching or compression either horizontally or vertically.

It's almost like I should horizontally scale down the right and left objects to compensated for the stretching being done by the camera, but I'm hoping there's a camera setting that will fix things for me!

thanks!

Johnny

digimassa
06-22-2004, 12:43 PM
:cool:
Johnny,
open "camera properties", set "aperture high" to "size 135" und change "zoom factor" to "lens focal lenght". So you get a setting similar to ordinary photo camera and here is the rule: lenght of 50 mm is "normal", shorter is distorting, the shorter the more.
So it will be wise to set focal lenght to e.g. 100 mm to avoid distortions, place the camera with this settings and there willnot be any distortions from camera

Johnny
06-22-2004, 02:08 PM

HowardM
06-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Thanks Digi!
Thats good to know!

Post that in the tips posts!!!!

Johnny
06-22-2004, 02:24 PM

peteb
06-24-2004, 05:44 AM
100mm isn't that telephoto? I thought 50mm was around the focal length of the human eye so shouldn't it be set to that??

dwburman
06-24-2004, 06:33 AM
Telephoto lenses flatten images out. This can cause images to look closer together (depth-wise) than they really are. And there is no lens distortion.

I guess a rule of thumb is to shoot it like you would with a physical camera. If you were doing a product shot would you use a 50mm lens and get close to the subject or stand back and zoom in?

The latter was a tip or trick in a certain LW book I recently bought :)

I don't have much experience in setting up product shots though.

peteb
06-24-2004, 06:35 AM
Depends if you want a strong depth of field though?

digimassa
06-24-2004, 06:59 AM
:cool:

DOF isnt an issue in LW camera as you set it how you like,
IRL it mostly depends on lens stop beside the focal lenght.

105 mm is a short telephoto, but together with 85 mm its the classic portrait lense as its free of distortion,

if you look threw the viewfinder of a SLR with one of this lenses you get a picture very similar to what you see outside the camera, just a little enlarged.

50 mm is in "size 135" called "normal" as it is close to to the diagonal of the 35 x 24 mm frame.