PDA

View Full Version : Render Outlines Shadows?

MrKnight
06-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Hi everyone.
Is there anyway to have shadows when you check the option to Render Outlines in the Advanced tab in the Surface Editor? For example, this picture has simple objects that have the Render Outlines check with Line Size at 3 and I put a point light in the middle of the room. As you can see, the outlines are not producing any shadows. I did turn on the Ray Trace Shadows in the Render Options.

MrKnight
06-13-2004, 01:09 PM
I guess it can't be done in LW.

toby
06-13-2004, 04:21 PM
When you render outlines you're not rendering geometry, which is why you can adjust the line size.

You have a couple options - put a camera where the light is, render an image then project that as a shadow, or go into modeler, select all the polygons and bevel them with just a little inset, then delete the polygons selected, save this as the wireframe object.

pixelinfected
06-14-2004, 09:49 AM
with shadow map you can have the shadow with edge rendering.

toby
06-14-2004, 02:32 PM
By cracky, you're right! very cool

MrKnight
06-14-2004, 05:12 PM
Thanks toby and pixelinfected. I would have been very surprise if it wasn’t possible in Lightwave, because I know that 3ds Max and Maya have this option.
Now, I just wish that you could render splines.

toby
06-14-2004, 05:59 PM
It can be done, I don't know the ins-and-outs, I've never needed splines rendered, but it's been done for hair for a long time now

you can convert the curve into 2-point poly chain and it will render - if you need to animate it you can apply 'spline control' to it - but I'm sure there's better, older ways that I just don't know

caesar
06-15-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by pixelinfected
with shadow map you can have the shadow with edge rendering.

Wonderful tip!