PDA

View Full Version : New spin edge lscript

Karmacop
06-10-2004, 09:33 AM
Does anyone ever find the need to spin edges of polygons? If so I've written an lscript that'll spin the edge between two polygons. These polygons don't need to be 3 sided or 4 sided. They don't need to have the same polycount. They can even have points on the edge that you're spinning.

I've spent the last few days getting this working for as many cases I can. I'm hoping to expand this lscript so that you can spin an edge clockwise or anti-clockwise, so that it works in symmetry mode, and so that it can handle more than two polygons at once.

Anyway, all I want is for some people to have a bit of a test. I've tried with as many cases as I can think of but I'd like more people to test and tell me if they get errors or crashes. Thanks if you want to help.

harlan
06-10-2004, 10:46 AM
nIceLy d0ne!! ;)

PS - That was my pathetic attempt at typing like a hacker!!! ;)

kfiram
06-10-2004, 10:56 AM
Super-cool!
No more need for seperate spin-quad/spin-tris, plus a lot handier.
Thanks!

Karmacop
06-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Thanks guys. I actually wanted to write this script 1 or 2 years ago, and it was the reason I started to do lscripting. So yeah, it's taken me 1-2 years to get to this point. Pretty said I guess :p Anyway, I hope to improve this script soon and put it on my website :)

Dodgy
06-10-2004, 11:02 AM
I would be happy if you didn't have spinclockwise/anticlockwise, just in one direction, if you could pick multiple pairs of polys and spin them all at the same time (preferably doing them in opposite directions around the x-axis and obeying symmetry). Doing one pair at a time can be a bit tedious.

But cool script!

Karmacop
06-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Well I'll try to add as many features as I can without over complicating the script.

Two days ago I thought I had finished a usable script ... but then on trying the script on several situations I found it wasn't generalised enough. At the moment I'm fairly sure this is a nice general method for spinning edges, but if I'm wrong and I move onto other features I'm shooting myself in the foot. So if you guys don't come up with any major errors caused by the script then I'll move onto anti-clockwise spinning and rotating multiple edges in one go (which should both be easy). I'm not sure about symmetry though. It's possible, I just have no idea how others check the symmetry stuff ...

So yeah, thanks for the quick replies, and I'm glad you're happy with the script. If you guys don't give me any bugs I'll add these features soon :)

bloontz
06-10-2004, 11:41 AM
I like it, thanks!

Lynx3d
06-10-2004, 12:22 PM
Err...i'm using this script for quite a while:

http://www.flay.com/getnewsdetail.cfm?ID=728

Maybe will check it out later...

Karmacop
06-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Damn ... I can't believe how many times I've been to his page and I've never seen that plugin :(

His script is certainly more elegant than mine, but at the moment my script can actually do more than his .. though my extra feature isn't very useful. Looks like I'll have to keep coding to make may plugin better, but thanks for the heads up ... wish I had seen this before :p

harlan
06-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Yeah, don't give up Karmacop. You never know...you may come up with something far more useful and original.

Kvaalen
06-10-2004, 01:29 PM
Really cool, Karmacop!

I've used the Spin Polygon Pair before and it crashs way too often. So yeah... keep up the good work. :)

evenflcw
06-10-2004, 10:07 PM
Very nice. I've also substituted it for Spin Polygon Pairs. I so dislike working with panels if they really aren't necessary. It was also very nice of you to provide the script uncompiled.

Anti-clockwise spinning would be nice as it seems Spin Quads spins them that way and it's always nice when things work simularly. And when you get the multiple poly spining thing down, then I'll ditch Spin-tris and quads aswell.

Thanks!

Edit:
It seems SpinQuads doesn't always do anticlockwise spinning. Instead it seems to depend on whether the polys are in +X or -X (symmetry mode On/Off doesn't change a thing) or something like that. I think you could do the same, arranging the +X and -X points/polys in two arrays, spining them separatly.

blabberlicious
06-11-2004, 01:21 AM
Excellent - just what I needed!

hrgiger
06-11-2004, 01:16 PM
It's still good work Karmacop. It could prove quite useful. I wouldn't have used any kind of spin tool before because I've been a point by point modeler but now I'm getting into box too and I'm finding more of a need for a spinner.