PDA

View Full Version : Z+ or Z- ?

Digital_red
03-26-2003, 02:13 PM
Hello, just wondering what direction people prefer to work in. I posted this on the old forums a while back but I thought a poll would be useful.

In the LW7 Manual is says to model facing the Z+ direction. But I see a lot of people like Larry Shultz and Proton (correct me if Iím wrong) seem to model facing Z-

Programmes/plugins like Motion builder and Autocharacter setup say import your character facing the Z+ (again correct me if I'm wrong)

Me, I prefer to Work Z+

robewil
03-26-2003, 02:25 PM
I voted Z-. Maybe it's because I prefer to look in a positive direction. :D

hrgiger
03-26-2003, 04:23 PM
You should have added one more to your poll saying "it doesn't matter which way I model".

Which is true for the most part. Certain plug-ins like ACS4 for example expect you to model facing one direction in which case you can always rotate your model 180 degrees if it's not facing the right way.

Skonk
03-26-2003, 04:32 PM
One thing iv noticed is that if u model a char or a head facing +z then make a cylidrical uv map for the head, the seam is down the front of the head, which aint what u want, if the head is facing -z its fine.
So -z gets my vote :)

James..

DigiLusionist
03-27-2003, 02:08 AM
If you're planning to model for animation, then Z+ is the obvious way to go, since most motion plug-ins and functions assume the object is facing the Z+ axis.