PDA

View Full Version : Massive reorganisation and overhaul of the lighting options

Emmanuel
06-10-2004, 05:52 AM
Hi,

since I am dabbling with that other software currently (movietheater5d from Mixon), I got to say that yes, LW seems outdated.
In modeler I wish a complete overhaul of the managment of layers and objects, make it more scene-editor-like with filter functions, better hierarchical editing, better pivot editing etc.
In Layout, a substantial overhaul of the lighting system is due.
movietheater5d has the options I was looking for in LW for light colour/shadow colour bleeding, any kind of light type can have any kind of shadows, You can even assign area shadows to point lights.
The volumetrics need to be improved both in quality and speed in LW.
If NT really is interested in what must be improved to be a competition to movietheater5d, then download the demo at Mixon's webpage and just play with the lighting, itll gonna be a reality check, I promise.

Lightwolf
06-10-2004, 06:06 AM
Hi Emmanuel (...or was that Emanuelle ? ;) ),
I actually did that a couple of days ago (mainly to check out the volumetric engine).
* It wasn't really stable (I can crash it almost 100% by just entering any value in certain inputs)
* Surfacing _sucks_ big time.
* The UI windowing logic is great, everything else in the UI seems very clumsy to me.
* The volumetrics (the reason I was looking) aren't imho close to HV (or Ogo_Taiki that is) for my purpose (clouds).

But you are right, the light options are nice :)

Cheers,
Mike

Emmanuel
06-10-2004, 06:39 AM
Hi, Leidwolf ;)

Emmanuelle...? Don't You DARE !!!
Just to assure that this doesn't turn into another my software vs other killzone, my dearest moderators, I will just say: take the good parts, leave the bad parts :D

Lightwolf
06-10-2004, 06:45 AM
Hehe, touché ;)

I'm all for taking the good parts :) But, just as you are, I'm currently exploring the options here as well...
Cheers,
Mike